Having huge .Net and Visual Studio Tools for Applications redundancy problems on x64 system RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Professional x64.

Ok. So here's my problem. VSTA 2005 won't install. It says it needs .Net 2.0. .Net 2.0 says it won't install since it's a part of the operating system already. So I tried to uninstall .Net 4.0 (Client and extended) and still .net 2.0 won't install. Without VSTA I cannot install solidworks. I tried this on a Virtual machine, and VSTA installs beautifully on it. So what can be the problem with my real OS?

Monday, February 7, 2011 3:29 AM

Answers

• Documenting for the future:

Hey, I did try it out. Like I mentioned before, I wasn't able to install .Net 2.0 (I did not explicitly try SP2 though). Anyway, nevermind. I did not solve the problem but got around it by formatting my system since it was just freshly formatted a few days ago.

I suspect I might have run into this problem by installing and uninstalling the Windows Phone 7 Dev tools (and its dependencies). I used Revo uninstaller to remove it which might have caused a boatload of problems.

Thanks.

SKI_Power
    • Proposed as answer by Niki Han Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component. This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

You can go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework folder to check the .NET Framework versions which installed on your computer. You also can use .NET Framework Setup Verification Utility to verify the installation state.

If .NET Framework 2.0 is installed on the computer, please go to Program and Feature -> Turn Windows features on or off -> check the option for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and restart the computer.

If VSTA still fails to install, I suggest contacting . NET Development Forums.

Best Regards,
    Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Documenting for the future:

Hey, I did try it out. Like I mentioned before, I wasn't able to install .Net 2.0 (I did not explicitly try SP2 though). Anyway, nevermind. I did not solve the problem but got around it by formatting my system since it was just freshly formatted a few days ago.

I suspect I might have run into this problem by installing and uninstalling the Windows Phone 7 Dev tools (and its dependencies). I used Revo uninstaller to remove it which might have caused a boatload of problems.

Thanks.

SKI_Power
    • Proposed as answer by Niki Han Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:34 PM