none
Maintenance of DPM Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have a server running DPM 2010 where there are stale elements I don't want to continue protecting any longer. I'm looking for a way to stop the protection and recover some space so that it may be allocated to other recovery partitions which need more space. So far I've read that stopping the protection will make stale the recovery points, which is then culled by DPM's script.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4a85a1ed-c669-4383-83e9-1bf3a8d79180/reclaiming-storage-pool-space-after-manually-deleting-recovery-points-in-dpm-2010?forum=dpmstorage

This seems to be the main consensus of how to remove unwanted protection elements, but that doesn't automatically free disk space. Shrinking through the script at:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2010/03/31/how-much-can-i-shrink-recovery-point-volumes-with-dpm2010/

seems to be the option if you want to optimize disk usage but it also seems to risk fragmentation according to the warning. Defragmentation of the DPM storage pool seems to be a bad idea since you can lose shadow copies hence, I was wondering what would be the appropriate procedure in order to clean up DPM's storage and reduce/prevent fragmentation overall?

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Whenever a data source is removed from protection and the replica is deleted that will free up the disk space used to protect that data source. Once the replica and recovery point volumes are deleted as a result of stopping protection that disk space will be returned to the DPM storage pool and can be used for extending current volumes or for new protection.   Dynamic disk fragmentation is hard to control over time but as noted it can be mitigated by not shrinking unnecessarily and also planning storage needs and adjusting allocation accordingly at time of protection. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:36 PM
  • Hello, thank you for your response. To clarify my understanding so far, in terms of best practice, I should just stop protection on the elements in which I don't want to protect anymore? From this, DPM will take care of all the storage configurations automatically for me through deleting expired recovery points?

In this case, I'm not stopping protection for entire groups, but only certain items within groups (folders, overgrown databases the organisation no longer uses which I plan to offload onto tape). Will DPM still automatically shrink the partition containing the recovery point in the optimization process or will I have to do handle this process manually?

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Correct - If a data source is removed from protection and you select the option to "delete replica on disk", DPM will delete the replica and recovery point volumes and return all that disk space to the DPM Storage pool.  The exception to that is when data sources (SQL DB, Hyper-V VM, Client Desktop) are co-located on the same replica.  If you selected the option to enable disk co-location at the time of protection then it's very possible that the data source(s) you remove from protection are on a shared replica that contain other data sources.  If you chose the option to "delete replica on disk" for a co-located data source that will only delete that data sources data on that replica.  The free space will only show on the replica volume.  Replica free space cannot be returned to the DPM Storage pool.  The space on the recovery point volume will not decrease until the shadow copies that contain recovery points for that data source are deleted based on the retention range of the protection group.    IE: If the data source you deleted had an average churn rate of 10GB/day with a 14 day retention, you will only see about 10GB of extra free space show on the recovery point volume every day for 14 days.   After that, you will need to shrink the recovery point volume to try to get that extra 140GB back into the DPM Storage pool. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 23, 2017 9:07 PM