Word 2010 There was a problem sending the command to the program RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 7 with Office 2007 installed and office 2010 through APP-V I get "There was a problem sending the command to the program" when I open a word doc from a file on the desktop.  If Word 2010 is already open the document opens fine and it opens fine if it is opened from Word.  If office 2007 is not installed office 2010 through APP-V works fine.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:53 PM

Answers

• You will likely see issues with other Office applications as well.  Excel gives a nice error with something about "This is valid only for products that are currently installed.."  I traced this down to ddeexec registry keys under HKCR for the various Office products. 

You need to clear the ddeexec keys under (at least) the following registy hives.  THere are probably more that I don't know about.

HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12
    HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8
    HKCR\Word.Document.12
    HKCR\Word.RTF.8
    HKCR\PowerPoint.Show.12

For example,
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.OpenDocumentPresentation.12\shell\Edit\ddeexec]

Should have no default value.  As best as I can tell, this is being caused by the remaining Office 2007 installation on that machine.  I exported the registry hives above from a machine that had no Office 2007 installed (only virtual Office 2010) and saved them off.  I then created a batch file to do the following for each of those keys.

rem Fix Excel
    reg export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\DefaultIcon %temp%\HKCR-Excel-DefIcon.reg /y
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12 /f
    reg import  \\fileshare\excelsheet12_hkcr.reg
    reg import %temp%\HKCR-Excel-DefIcon.reg

You need to save the DefaultIcon value, which is the reason for the export/import of that value.  Be aware as well, I have had some users that have run this fix come back and have to run it again because "something" triggered Office 2007 to try and "repair" itself.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Before you responded yesterday I was on the right track after digging into the problem.  Here what I did:

Deleted everything under HKCR\Word.Document.12\Shell and did a refresh from the server which repopulated everything under shell.  Word worked perfect after that.  I have not checked the other Keys that you mentioned above yet.  I wonder if there is another way to make this work without having to delete those keys every time?

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:58 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:46 PM

All replies

• You will likely see issues with other Office applications as well.  Excel gives a nice error with something about "This is valid only for products that are currently installed.."  I traced this down to ddeexec registry keys under HKCR for the various Office products. 

You need to clear the ddeexec keys under (at least) the following registy hives.  THere are probably more that I don't know about.

HKCR\Excel.Sheet.12
    HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8
    HKCR\Word.Document.12
    HKCR\Word.RTF.8
    HKCR\PowerPoint.Show.12

For example,
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.OpenDocumentPresentation.12\shell\Edit\ddeexec]

Should have no default value.  As best as I can tell, this is being caused by the remaining Office 2007 installation on that machine.  I exported the registry hives above from a machine that had no Office 2007 installed (only virtual Office 2010) and saved them off.  I then created a batch file to do the following for each of those keys.

rem Fix Excel
    reg export HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\DefaultIcon %temp%\HKCR-Excel-DefIcon.reg /y
    reg delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12 /f
    reg import  \\fileshare\excelsheet12_hkcr.reg
    reg import %temp%\HKCR-Excel-DefIcon.reg

You need to save the DefaultIcon value, which is the reason for the export/import of that value.  Be aware as well, I have had some users that have run this fix come back and have to run it again because "something" triggered Office 2007 to try and "repair" itself.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:08 AM
  • Before you responded yesterday I was on the right track after digging into the problem.  Here what I did:

Deleted everything under HKCR\Word.Document.12\Shell and did a refresh from the server which repopulated everything under shell.  Word worked perfect after that.  I have not checked the other Keys that you mentioned above yet.  I wonder if there is another way to make this work without having to delete those keys every time?

• Proposed as answer by znack Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, August 7, 2013 9:58 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Redparadox, did any of your PCs with Office 2007 that trigger a repair have Viso 2007 loaded on them?
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:10 PM
  • No, I don't believe so. 

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:15 PM
  • I encountered the same question. I installed 2013 professional, and before that, IT guys pre-installed 2007viewer on our laptop. Inspired by Redparadox's answer, I uninstalled all of 2007 viewers and restart. and problem vanished.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 2:35 AM