Allow Approver to add data to a Service Request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we're trying to build a runbook here for deploying VMs.  We use Service Manager as the front end for the portal and approvals and assigning Request numbers.  We have a special format that we use for assigning names to the servers.  What we would like is for the customer who wants to deploy a server to simply put a project name in for the server to deploy.  We then want the approvers to actually assign the name to the server that is deployed.  I have not found a way to do that yet.  Is there a way to have more than one person add data that will be passed to the Runbook.  The requester fills out a form but the approver or a reviewer can add additional data to it?  Thanks!!!
    Monday, June 15, 2015 1:55 PM

Answers

• Through the Portal there is not a way to have a reviewer be required to enter anything other than a comment, and these comments cannot be set to require certain keywords or anything like that. There are a couple of ways you can go about doing this.

One would be to have a field on the Service Request that the reviewer can fill out, but this would require them to have console access. If they do have console access this would be the easiest solution. You could also build a check into your runbook to confirm that this field has been completed and notify the reviewer if it is not. 

Another option could be to create an notification template specifically for this review activity type. In this template you could put a mailto link that contains the [Approved] keyword, and some text around entering the server name. Then have your runbook key off of this text. For example when they click this mailto link it could put this in the body.

Enter server name between the brackets: []
    [Approved]

Then when they send the email in the first line will be in the approver's comments, which you can then pull in using a workflow or runbook. 

Check out this Post for details on using the mailto link for approvals, if you are not familiar with it. 

Matthew Dowst | Blog | Twitter

Monday, June 15, 2015 2:14 PM

All replies

• Through the Portal there is not a way to have a reviewer be required to enter anything other than a comment, and these comments cannot be set to require certain keywords or anything like that. There are a couple of ways you can go about doing this.

One would be to have a field on the Service Request that the reviewer can fill out, but this would require them to have console access. If they do have console access this would be the easiest solution. You could also build a check into your runbook to confirm that this field has been completed and notify the reviewer if it is not. 

Another option could be to create an notification template specifically for this review activity type. In this template you could put a mailto link that contains the [Approved] keyword, and some text around entering the server name. Then have your runbook key off of this text. For example when they click this mailto link it could put this in the body.

Enter server name between the brackets: []
    [Approved]

Then when they send the email in the first line will be in the approver's comments, which you can then pull in using a workflow or runbook. 

Check out this Post for details on using the mailto link for approvals, if you are not familiar with it. 

Monday, June 15, 2015 2:14 PM
  • Thanks Matthew.  These both look like acceptable solutions for us.  I had not used a Reviewer yet for Service Requests.  But what I am understanding from your post is, if I set someone up as a Reviewer, they can edit the Service Request (change or add the correct server name) before forwarding this along to the Approver.  Is that correct?  And when you say console access, you mean the actual Service Manager application and not the web portal, correct?  Sorry for all the questions.  Still new to Service Manager.  Thanks again!
    Monday, June 15, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Your first question - if I set someone up as a Reviewer, they can edit the Service Request (change or add the correct server name) before forwarding this along to the Approver.

The answer is maybe. It depends on how you have your permissions defined. A user can have read access to the Service Request, but read/write to the review activity. In this case then the second option of using the email would be your best bet. 

You are correct that by saying console I was referring to the Service Manager application and not the web portal. Please feel free to ask all the questions you like, and let us know if you need some additional clarifications.  

Monday, June 15, 2015 6:43 PM
  • Thanks again Matthew.  I will try these options and if I get stuck I'll let you know!!!
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 3:02 PM