none
Domain controller name

Question

• Hi,

We have developed a website and deployed it in IIS enabling windows authentication. Everything works fine until infra team decommissioned a domain controller and added a new one instead of that. But the application is still pointing to old domain controller. We haven't used LDAP connection string in our application anywhere. 

When we try to get the groups the user is added in the active directory it throws error. The error contains the domain controller name which is decommissioned. Not sure from where it is getting this name? Please help me to find this issue.

[ActiveDirectoryServerDownException: The server is not operational.

Name: "XXXX.DOMAIN.COM"

]

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.PropertyManager.GetPropertyValue(DirectoryContext context, DirectoryEntry directoryEntry, String propertyName) +510

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DirectoryEntryManager.ExpandWellKnownDN(WellKnownDN dn) +239

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.DomainController.get_Domain() +71

System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.ADStoreCtx.GetGroupsMemberOf(Principal p) +839

System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement.Principal.GetGroups() +32

Regards,

Vijay.C

Friday, March 24, 2017 2:50 PM

All replies

• You have asked in the wrong forum. This forum is for questions and discussions about the TechNet Wiki. I will move this question to a more appropriate forum.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, March 24, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Hi Vijay,
    I would suggest you clean up metadata of old domain controller: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx
    Then, please run ipconfig /flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns command or restart netlogon service, alternatively, you could also run nltest /dsgetdc:DomainName to force DC locator cache refresh, it may help you to switch to another DC. then see if it works.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions. If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:17 AM
  • We are still facing this issue and it's not resolved. I would like to know from where it has got the DC name as we haven't specified the name anywhere in the application. I think, this would help me to identify the solution for this issue.

Regards,

Vijay.C

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi Vijay,
    Have you tried to clean up old DC metadata and see if it works?
    And you could use process monitor tool to have a try and see if you could capture something to get the domain controller name.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Monday, May 29, 2017 1:39 AM
  • Hi - did you found a solution to this? It seems that I'm facing the same issue with my application.
    Thanks
    Andi

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:47 PM