none
Server 2016 Essentials Dashboard Users gone RRS feed

• Question

• I just spent hours configuring server 2016 essentials. It performed an update and now my dashboard users are all gone and I cant connect to Remote Workplace. I tried to uninstall updates but it will not allow me to. The uninstall button is missing and when I right click on update it does nothing. Please help. I didnt backup server yet so I am stuck. I dont want to reconfigure.
    Monday, April 2, 2018 8:19 PM

All replies

• welcome to learning the hard way; working on a live production server is NOT the way to test changes/updates.
    Monday, April 2, 2018 8:27 PM
  • I didnt test anything sir. It updated on its own. If you have a solution please advise, if not please keep smart comments to yourself.
    Monday, April 2, 2018 8:42 PM
  • not going to be a MLG all-star with that attitude.
    Monday, April 2, 2018 8:53 PM
  • Hi,

Try to follow below steps and check the result:

1. Launch Windows PowerShell with Administrative privileges. Run the following command:

Get-WssUser | fl *Name,IsShowInUI*

2. Make a note of the user accounts which have IsShowInUI parameter set as False

3. Run the following command to make the user account visible in the Dashboard:

Set-WssUserDashboardVisibility -Name <UserName> -Visible

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 9:27 AM
  • @The Grim:  I run 2016 WSE in a SOHO environment with automatic updates from Windows Update.  This is in fact how Microsoft intends it to work for people not using WSUS. So, why berate the OP for using the product the way Microsoft designed it?

Your comment implies you believe the problem lies with poor quality updates. But I've been doing this across four generations of this product, and at no time has any automatic update destroyed my server configuration in the fashion described by the OP. That leads me to conclude that the problem is most likely something specific to his production hardware or software configuration, or to some other non-repeatable runtime error.  Even if he had the luxury of a second server for testing, it's unlikely that this type of localized problem would manifest in the same way, if at all. 

• Edited by Gary Voth Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:48 PM
  • "environment with automatic updates from Windows Update. "

4 generations huh?

Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:56 PM
  • Deleted my comment because I figured it wasn't worth my time to enter into a debate with someone here. 

But since you responded already, yes, there actually have been four generations of the "Essentials" product, beginning with Windows Home Server, WHS 2011, WSE 2012 and WSE 2016.  

This is a product (still) intended for use by small businesses without a full time professional IT staff (whether or not it is completely suitable for this role is another discussion). So calling someone out for using it the way it is supposed to work is a bit unhelpful, in my mind. 

• Edited by Gary Voth Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 5, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:04 AM
  • I get this error:

At line:1 char:20
    + Get-WssUser|fl*Name,IsShowInUI*
    +                    ~
    Missing argument in parameter list.
        + CategoryInfo          : ParserError: (:) [], ParentContainsErrorRecordException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MissingArgument

when I type

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WssUser|fl*Name,IsShowInUI*

or

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-WssUser | fl*Name,IsShowInUI*

So it does not work for me.

Saturday, February 2, 2019 11:31 PM
  • Hello Mark,

Use this:

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WssUser | Fl DisplayName,IsShowInUI

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: How to migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials and How to migrate SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 8, 2019 11:23 AM
  • Just finished your migration guide, amazing btw, but now I'm here trying to find out why the essentials services don't like to start or stay running......
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 3:51 AM
  • Thanks! Are all of them doing doing that?

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way | Updated migration guide: How to migrate SBS 2011 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials and How to migrate SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2019 Standard, Datacenter or Essentials

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:03 PM