Windows corruption after download of windows live essentials RRS feed

• Question

• On 1/7/13 I downloaded Windows Live Essentials - I guess - from photo gallery site on both computers - vista and xp.  Now, my windows on my vista and my xp are corrupted.  Can't seem to find any fix.  It also updated my IE to 8 at that time, had been using 7 prior to that, but I see it has updated on both computers.  Able to run symantec on xp - I have not shut it down.  The vista shuts down and won't let me run a virus scan but one was done 1/9 and it was fine.  Since I shut the vista down earlier today it has had a problem, afraid to shut down xp - afraid it won't allow use of any programs if I do.  HELP!!
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:40 AM

All replies

• Update:  On my XP laptop, I uninstalled windows live, shut down symantec, reloaded windows live and the turned symantec back on. This worked fine...However, it does not seem to work on Vista.  I did all of that and as soon as I turned symantec back on - and rebooted, windows shut down, blue screen error.  Turn off symantec - it's on again. Any help out there??
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 5:54 PM
  • I am not an IT but have read that Windows Live Essentials can cause corruption.

I removed it. The photo gallery had 1,400 icons in it.

Instead I use replacements. I have Win 8 so am using the MS Picture manager instead of the photo gallery and because you can download and install single features of Win Live Essentials I am using Win Live mail as my email client. If I have trouble with it I will use Thunderbird.

Don't forget to create restore pints and back your system up to an external hard drive. XP is quite antiquated.

Btw, you should have discs you can insert to boot up. yes?

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:53 PM