Workflow to apply a template on creation only when 'Assinged to' is blank RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, I have support groups setup that have associated email groups.  When an incident is created, the support group is checked and the template that applies the correct AD email group depending on the support group selected.  When the support group is changed, the correct template is applied again so that the incidents get transfered to a group instead of to an individual.

THIS ALL WORKS FINE...but I want to add the functionality for the individual support groups to create an incident and assign it to a specific person in that group.  So, in this case, I would NOT want the group template to be applied, but rather by pass that since there should be a person in the 'Assigned to' field.

What I thought I could do in this case is to check the 'Assigned to' field on incident creation and if the field is blank, assign the template based on the support group.  If the 'Assigned to' field is NOT empty, I would not apply the template since I do not want to overwrite the person in the 'Assigned to' field.  Then the person could get the notification instead of the group being over written like it currently is, and everyone in that group getting the notification.

Basically, I can't figure out how to check if the 'Assinged to' field is blank or not...please let me know if I can clarify anything...

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:53 PM

Answers

• Is using a PowerShell scipt an option?

Maybe this one points you to the right direction: SCSM: Mail Notification - Unassigned Incidents

Instead of sending an email you can also set a property. You can trigger the PowerShell script by a workflow if an incident is created or updated.

Hope this helps. 

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:28 PM

All replies

• No one?
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Anyone?
    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Is using a PowerShell scipt an option?

Maybe this one points you to the right direction: SCSM: Mail Notification - Unassigned Incidents

Instead of sending an email you can also set a property. You can trigger the PowerShell script by a workflow if an incident is created or updated.

Hope this helps. 

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 8:28 PM
  • I think this might work!  I'll dig through the Power Shell and see if I can't modify it to what I need.  I'll let you know.  Thanks!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:09 PM