Restricting a Standard User without restricting my Admin user (Win7 Pro)...? RRS feed

• Question

• Folks

I'm building a Win 7 Pro image for our company that will have two users: an auto-logon "User" (standard user) and a password protected support user (Admin user).

I want to lock down the "User" account *tight* since this is a public facing system, but I don't want to restrict my support user at all.

Of course, I went to Group Policy Editor and started playing... It must be just me, but GPedit completely vexes me!  Some settings effect the one user, some settings effect all users... I'm mostly working under under "User Configuration / Administrative templates"  - but I'm at wits end.

I'm not trying to pull of anything too clever here - I just want to lock down a single user - that's it.  I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  Here's what I need to do for my restricted user (while keeping my Admn user wide open):

• Remove "All Programs" from the Start menu;
    • Remove the search field from the Start Menu
    • Remove "Switch User", "Lock", "Sleep" and "Shut Down" from the "Power Button" under the Start Menu
    • Remove all of the status icons on the task bar (the stuff on the right we used to call the SysTray);
    • Disable the "right click" context menu from the desktop

Now, I've been able to do just about all of this through GPedit, but I end up messing up my Admin user too...

What am I missing?  I know this is standard IT type stuff (sadly, I'm not a standard IT guy!)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We can create a Non-Administrators Group Policy Editor to achieve this function.

For reference:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101869-local-group-policies-apply-all-users-except-administrators.html

Then, you can remove Shut down, switch user, logoff etc. from this customize GP editor. It will work for non-Administrators only.

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Proposed as answer by Kim Zhou Friday, April 13, 2012 5:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, April 13, 2012 6:20 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2012 9:07 AM