none
DPM 2010 removing recovery point does not free up space in recovery point volume RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have recently run out of space on the recovery point volume for one of my Hyper-V guests that is being backed up by DPM 2010. This has happened before and usually all I need to do is delete the recovery point (I only keep one recovery point per Hyper-V guest) and re-run Create Recovery Point which creates a new recovery point. The problem now is that even after deleting the existing recovery point the Recovery Point Volume does not show as zero space used, it still shows 60 or so GB used - the same as before I deleted the old Recovery Point. This means that I can't create a new Recovery Point as there is not enough space on disk.

Anybody know why this would be happening?

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How are you deleting the recovery point ? Are you using co-location in that protection group ?

Why so stingy on the disk allocation, having to delete your only backup does not make for a sound backup strategy.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:51 AM
  • I use the Remove-RecoveryPoint powershell cmdlet. Co-location is enabled. There are two data sources on the DPM Volume.

We will be expanding our disk space soon but at the moment just making the best of what we have.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:31 AM
  • Hi,

Since the recovery points for both VM's share the same shadow copy, you would need to delete the oldest recovery point for both VM's before that shadow copy can be physically deleted.  You can run vssadmin list shadows and see how many shadow copies are listed for that replica volume.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:02 PM