none
Work hours per week RRS feed

• Question

• I work in a company where we build modular units and we have an estimated "man hour" time that each unit takes.  I am hoping that I can take my alloted "man hours" per week and have project schedule the units by taking my alloted hours per week, dividing by the hours each unit takes to build and giving me the number of units we can build in one week.

Thanks!

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 3:06 PM

All replies

• BCTAmanda,

Project isn't really set up to do the type of calculation you want. In fact, Excel would be a better application for your scenario. Why? Because Project schedules activities using what is known as the work equation:

Duration = Work/Units (where units is the number of resources assigned).

Nonetheless a similar question was asked a few weeks back. The following thread may or may not be useful to you:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/90229de1-b48c-4e89-805d-746d35f9bd86

John

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Amanda, I think your question is a little different from the earlier one - it seems that your number of resources is fixed and the question is how many units can be completed in a given time. (can we refer to them as items rather than units - it'll help the clarity if we start talking about resource units?). I agree with John that this seems a fairly straightforward calculation if all you want is answer to the question 'how many units per week?' However, if the question is how are the tasks scheduled and when will specific ones be completed, you might need something more than Excel.

Set up your resource(s) with a max units equivalent to however many resources you have.

Set up standard item task (fixed work) with the work being the standard man-hours per item and units of 100%. Repeat the task/assignment  for all the items that you want to schedule. If it matters, amend the detail of each task for the identity of the item (Job number in a custom field?) and the priority. Use Task leveling to cap the total units (Peak Units in Project 2010) to be no greater than Max Units.

If you really want to get a count of the number of items (completed) in a particular week - after the leveling has been done, you could use a couple of custom task number fields like:

Task week              Datediff("w","1/2/2013",[Finish])           and

Weekly count         1                                                             (rolled up with Sum)

Then use a view with group by Task week and showing the Weekly count at the group level.

Graham

Saturday, March 23, 2013 4:21 PM