There was a problem with the digital certificate error with Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple macros that I run in Outlook 2016.  These were developed and run on my local system.  I had signed them using the SelfCert tool.  Until today (10/4/17), they worked correctly. This morning when I attempted to run them, none of them would run.  Going into the VBA editor, I got the following error:

The macros in this project are disabled.  Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros.

I checked, and the macro was still signed, and Outlook Macro Security was set to "Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled"

When I attempted to save the VBA project, I got the error

There was a problem with the digital certificate.  The VBA project could not be signed.  The signature will be discarded.

I tried creating and using a new certificate, and got the same error.

If I change Outlook Macro Security to "Enable all macros", then the macro runs fine.

I know that some update (Office or Windows or both) was run last night.

I am running Windows 10 with all current updates and Office 365 with all current updates.

What do I need to do in order to resolve this issue without have "Enable all macros" turned on?

Thanks,

Eric

• Moved by Chenchen Li Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:24 AM Outlook IT
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What is your build number? Please go to File -> Office Account to get the build number.  I could reproduce your issue in Version 1708 (Build 8431.2079) 64bit.  

This fourm(Outlook for Developers) is for development issues when using Outlook Object Model. As the issue is related to Outlook product feature, i would move this thread into Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum for further discussions.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:23 AM
  • Version 1705 (Build 8201.2193 Click-to-Run)

I checked for updates via the "Update Now" button, and the return message was that I was at the latest/current version.

Eric

• Edited by WEricBr Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:54 PM
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:53 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Version 1705 (Build 8201.2193 Click-to-Run) is the latest version of Office 365 Semi-Annual (Deferred Channel) update channel currently.

In your scenario, please try to import this SelfCert to the Trusted Publisher and confirm if the Macro can be enabled. To do it, please try:

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Settings >Internet Options.
    2. Go to Content tab, click Certificates.
    3. Under Personal tab, select the self-signed certificate which you used for Code Signing, click Export and save the exported certificate to local path.
    4. Select Trusted Publisher tab, click Import to import this self signed certificate.
    5. Finish the importing, restart Outlook 2016 and confirm if the Macro code can be enabled now. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 3:13 AM
  • That did not work.

I followed the steps above, change the "Macro Security" in Outlook to "Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled" and then restarted Outlook.

When I tried to run the macro (from the VB editor) I got the "The macros in this project are disabled..." error message.

I then went to "Tools"/"Digital Signatures" menu and chose the certificate.

I tried to run the macro again with the same results.

When I saved the macro I got the "There was a problem with the digital certificate" error message.

Thanks,

Eric

Friday, October 6, 2017 1:37 PM
  • I got exactly the same situation, same version number Ver 1705 (Build 8201.2193 Click-to-Run) as Eric. 

Additional information.
    After the Office updates on Oct 4, the Outlook VBA addin cannot be loaded too (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ADDINS\OUTLVBA.DLL) Product version [16.0.8201.2193]. the Outlook said the mentioned file is not a valid Office Add-in.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Same issue here. Any Macro that is digitally signed with a valid certificate fail to run. No notification from Excel to say its failed, they just don't run. 

Rolled back to a previous version and the Macros work again. Rolled back using this command:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun>OfficeC2RClient.exe /update USER displaylevel=True forceappshutdown=true updatetoversion=16.0.7766.2099

Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:10 PM
  • I have the same issue as Eric, but I have Version 1705 (Build 8201.2200 Click-to-Run).  I tried importing the SelfCert to the Trusted Publisher and had no success either.  Are there any follow-up steps to try beyond that?

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, October 20, 2017 12:07 AM
  • I have the same issue just upgrade from Office 2013. Unless I lower the security as described above to 'Notifications for all macros', I cannot run any of self signed macros. I really don't like to run with this potential security risk.

-Christoph

Friday, October 20, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Any solution to this yet? I have the same problem.

Wayne H

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 6:34 AM
  • I also have the same issue and tried the export and import to trusted publisher and got same error trying to save vba macro module.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Any solution to this problem @Microsoft?

It's still there.

Monday, December 4, 2017 10:51 AM
  • I thought I'd chime in that I'm also having exactly the same issue ... and it's December 20, 2017 now.

I'm hearing a very distinct sound of crickets coming from Microsoft's direction.

Come on Microsoft ... if software as a service is really going to work, you can't be breaking things during your updates and then not fix them, or refuse to acknowledge the problem you created.

Kevin

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:45 PM
  • same issue here. December 26, 2017.... the macro and self certificate issue started yesterday after I installed a new module (VISIO). Version 1705 (Build 8201.2213 Click-to-Run).

Maurizio

Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:51 PM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I've tried

1. Importing the certificate into the machine personal certificates store

2. Importing the certificate into the current user personal certificates store

3. Importing the certificate into the machine trusted root certification authorities store

4. Importing the certificate into the current user trusted root certification authorities certificates store

5. Importing the certificate into the machine trusted publishers store

6. Importing the certificate into the current user trusted publishers certificates store

Nothing seems to work. @Microsoft, this is an important security issue.  Please help!  Why do companies only respond to these things when there is publicity on social media?

Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:13 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I've tried

1. Importing the certificate into the machine personal certificates store

2. Importing the certificate into the current user personal certificates store

3. Importing the certificate into the machine trusted root certification authorities store

4. Importing the certificate into the current user trusted root certification authorities certificates store

5. Importing the certificate into the machine trusted publishers store

6. Importing the certificate into the current user trusted publishers certificates store

Nothing seems to work. @Microsoft, this is an important security issue.  Please help!  Why do companies only respond to these things when there is publicity on social media?

I'm facing the same problem. Any answer from @Microsoft would be very welcome!
    Tuesday, January 16, 2018 12:10 PM
  • + 1. I had to allow any Macros with my Client. This comes with a huge security risk. A fix from Microsoft would be great. IMHO this is critical!
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:55 PM

• I have this problem also:

• In my case it was with Office 2013 64Bit: when I try to sign the unsigned VbaProject.OTM, using Tools - Dignital Signatures - Choose (and I pick the certificate), it looks like it signs (and the certificate goes into the "currently signed as" field) but when I close Outlook (and Save the changes to the VbaProject) the project is not signed when I open Outlook. 
    • Interestingly when I used an older VbaProject.OTM, one that was already signed, instead of the new VbaProject.OTM, I was able to clear out all the old code, re-import new code and it successfully saved changes.

I wonder if it matters if it is a SHA1 certificate or a SHA256 certificate that we're signing with?  Perhaps, Microsoft no longer allows new projects to be created with SHA1 certificates.

Monday, March 26, 2018 8:06 PM
  • I had the same problem trying to add a certificate to a Macro in Outlook 2016 in Windows 10. 

1. I set the Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings... Macro Settings > Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run) 

2. Added Macro

3. Created SelfCert > Office Folder / Office root > SelfCert

4. Add Digital Signature > Tools > Digital Signature > Choose > Certificate

5. Save

Error that occured:

There was a problem with the digital certificate. The VBA project could not be signed. The signature will be discarded.

Solution:

My solution was to log in Outlook 2016 as Administrator and it allowed me to use the certificate correctly as stepped from above.  After saving the Macro, close Outlook but must open Outlook as Administrator again to accept the Macro Update.  Once good, changed the 

Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings... Macro Settings > Notifications for digitally signed macros, all other macros disabled

Notes: 

It did function when I allowed Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run) but not secure and only wanted to run Macros with Signatures

• Proposed as answer by Ed Dablin Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:47 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 10:40 PM