Substring search in a text file RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Recently we have changed some PCs in our customer care department and they finally get Windows 7 instead of Windows XP. Some of these people needs to check a Windows Server share with lot of text files. With Windows XP they were able to search in that folders with a substring value, but they were not in Windows 7.

Here it comes an example:

If I have a text file like this:

AL0634550D9103121020101204161802158244                                                                                
     12000000101121003121001121090212     IT31063     02008      
     1200000020112100312100112109          IT24063     02008                       
     12000000302121003121003121090          IT59063     089900

If i'm looking for the value 11210031210, Windows XP with Windows Desktop Search was able to find files with that value inside, but Windows 7 is not.

I tried to figure out a way to make Windows 7 works in this way, but it seems that the only solution is to use a 3rd part software.

Any Suggestion?    

Thanks for your help                                                               

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Windows 7 doesnot index the files stored on the other computers. Please try Always search file names and contents option.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:40 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

• Search in Windows Explorer for a specific phrase by typing content: followed by your phrase enclosed in double quotes, e.g. content:”11210031210”. The files that contain the phrase should be listed.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, but it doesen't work, sorry.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:37 AM
  • By default Windows 7 does not search for file contents in non-indexed locations. 

You can try adding the Windows Server share folder to Indexing Directories-

Right-click Computer / My Computer > Manage. Wait for Computer Management window to load.

Expand Services and Applications from left pane and then open Indexing Service. You should see one catalog - usually named 'System'. Double-click System to open it and then open Directories. In the right pane (not the Actions pane; the pane right to left pane), right-click in a blank area > New > Directory.

In Path, enter the path to the folder on the Windows Server share, for example \\server\users\username\folder

Under account information, type the username and password used to connect to the Windows Server share. Click OK. 

Leave the computer idle for sometime so that Windows starts indexing the files on the server share.

Alternatively you can set Windows Search to search for file contents even in non-indexed locations; however it will then take more time to search for the file contents-

Open Windows Explorer > Click Organize from toolbar > Folder and search options > Search tab.

Under 'What to search', select Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes) option. Also make sure Find partial matches is checked under How to search.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:53 AM
  • By default Windows 7 does not search for file contents in non-indexed locations. 

You can try adding the Windows Server share folder to Indexing Directories-

Right-click Computer / My Computer > Manage. Wait for Computer Management window to load.

Expand Services and Applications from left pane and then open Indexing Service. You should see one catalog - usually named 'System'. Double-click System to open it and then open Directories. In the right pane (not the Actions pane; the pane right to left pane), right-click in a blank area > New > Directory.

In Path, enter the path to the folder on the Windows Server share, for example \\server\users\username\folder

Under account information, type the username and password used to connect to the Windows Server share. Click OK. 

Leave the computer idle for sometime so that Windows starts indexing the files on the server share.

Alternatively you can set Windows Search to search for file contents even in non-indexed locations; however it will then take more time to search for the file contents-

Open Windows Explorer > Click Organize from toolbar > Folder and search options > Search tab.

Under 'What to search', select Always search file names and contents (this might take several minutes) option. Also make sure Find partial matches is checked under How to search.

Great answer, thank you very much. I cannot find the indexing under the Service and Applications settings in Windows 7 computer. This option is visibile on the Windows Server that is hosting that share. Have I to made this configuration right on the server?
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Great answer, thank you very much. I cannot find the indexing under the Service and Applications settings in Windows 7 computer. This option is visibile on the Windows Server that is hosting that share. Have I to made this configuration right on the server?

The indexing service on a computer is not affected by the configuration on any other computers on the network. The confguration on your server, whether write or wrong will never affect the Indexing service.

OK, since you don't see Indexing service in Computer Management, try launching it directly-

Press Windows key + R to open Run > type ciadv.msc and press Enter.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Windows 7 doesnot index the files stored on the other computers. Please try Always search file names and contents option.

Juke Chou
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Juke Chou

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:40 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for the info, Juke Chou.

Veritas Spa, you will have to use Map network drive (Right-click My Computer) and then add it to the index locations.

Juke, can you explain why we do have the option of adding network folder shares under ciadv.msc - Add Directory ??? Or why Windows does not give an error when trying to add one?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

You cannot add a Network Folder in Ciadv.msc. It will tell you that the location is invalid.

Juke Chou

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Juke Chou

Juke Chou

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:40 AM
  • I tried some solutions listed in this thread and I want to thank everyone for your help. Unfortunetly no one works as i expected. The simplest solution for me it was to download a third party software (RJL Software Search/Replace 1.06) that is freeware and easy to use.

(I'm posting as Veritas spa)

• Edited by Luca Simonella Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:08 PM Windows 8 user binding
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:08 PM