Can't log in with ethernet cable plugged in RRS feed

• Question

• I have a whole department that has the same basic image and exact same workstations as other departments but solely has issues logging into their computers after a restart or shutdown. To log back in, they need to unplug their ethernet cables. Otherwise, it never gets passed the welcome screen. After looking through the event logs, I see that when they are trying to log in with the cable plugged in they get an error stating:

Error      4/23/2014 10:31:52 AM  Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy             1055       None     "The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not resolve the computer name. This could be caused by one of more of the following:

a) Name Resolution failure on the current domain controller.

b) Active Directory Replication Latency (an account created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller)."

It seems that they are getting in with cached credentials and I've looked up the error and tried to see if there are DNS issues with the workstations being able to contact the DC and I can't quite figure out why this is happening. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Monday, April 28, 2014 3:44 PM

Answers

• Are all the computers members of some specific ou? - If so Is there any difference between this ou and other when it comes to Group Policies? You could also try to move an computer away/into this container and see what happens.
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Friday, May 9, 2014 6:50 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 6:44 PM

All replies

• 1. Does the same error still comes after you rejoin the domain with the machine? 2. Are all of the computers connected to same router - if so do you still get the same error if you connect with different router? 3. Does this department has its own logon server (domain controller?) - if so is it RODC or normal? 4. If the original problem is the connection to DC what kind of errors you get if you try to run rsop.msc while logged?
    Monday, April 28, 2014 4:34 PM
  • I have been thinking about rejoining the machine to the domain but it is difficult to log in to the machine as an admin or any other acct that isn't the common user of the machine so I haven't tried it. All of the machines in that department aren't connected on the same switch. The dept does not have a separate DC and it is not an RODC, it's a global catalog DC. I haven't run rsop.msc but have run a GPresult and I don't see any errors. 

Thanks

Monday, April 28, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Are all the computers members of some specific ou? - If so Is there any difference between this ou and other when it comes to Group Policies? You could also try to move an computer away/into this container and see what happens.
    • Marked as answer by Roger Lu Friday, May 9, 2014 6:50 AM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 6:44 PM