warning message "Your device might not be able to play or view this file" when copying MP3s to MTP device RRS feed

• Question

• Some new phones are doing away with the virtual HDD and switching to MTP for transferring files to/from the device. Because of this every time I want to copy MP3s to my MTP device I get a Windows message saying "Your device might not be able to play or view this file" forcing me to click "Ignore this error" every time I start a new copy. I am VERY grateful that there is an option that says "Do this for all remaining files", but it's still really annoying because each time I start a new file copy it pops up.

To be clear, this is not a device or driver issue. This is a windows prompt that is specifically tied to MTP devices.

Is there a registry key I can change so Windows will automatically assume the answer is "Yes, your file will be copied, but you might not be able to play or view it on your device"? Or perhaps a key where I can change the file types this prompt is tied to?

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my research and test, I’m afraid that this feature is by-design. We cannot simply disable or change the feature by editing the registry.

I think you can use the transfer tool from your phone manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research and test, I’m afraid that this feature is by-design. We cannot simply disable or change the feature by editing the registry.

I think you can use the transfer tool from your phone manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:31 AM
  • "I’m afraid that this feature is by-design"

Ok here's some feedback on that design decision:

- I have not found it helpful in any way whatsoever.

- It is almost invariably an incorrect assertion

- It is incredibly annoying

- It has impacted me financially due to not being able to rely on a simple drag and drop working like it should

- It's not really forgiveable that I can't at least set this as a preference for each individual device (I'm assuming this "feature" has *some* validity with specific types of device or application).

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I agree, I see no purpose whatsoever for this "feature".
    Friday, November 23, 2012 7:14 PM
  • It's a totally useless and annoying "warning". Instead of Windows allowing you to just drag-and-drop and forget it, I have to come back 10 minutes later to find out that Windows paused my transfer to ask the stupid question: "Are your REALLY sure you want to transfer this file??? Your device MIGHT not be able to play it" ....Grrr.. Well thank you very much Windows for your concern, but it is not of your  business what I transfer to my Mp3 player. Just do it.

This happens every single time.

Friday, December 21, 2012 11:33 AM
  • I have to also lend my voice to saying that this is a completely idiotic function.  I get the same error when trying to transfer files to my Toshiba Thrive tablet, which I use primarily for listening to podcasts or other files when at work.  So, I'm copying files over on a daily basis only to get stonewalled by having to answer this stupid prompt *EVERY SINGLE TIME* I try to copy files over.   It also happens when I try to transfer files to my Galaxy Nexus.  

It's insane that Windows should even care if my device can play the files or not (too much of a nanny condition on Microsoft's part?), and I liken it appropriately to the overbearing UAC in Vista.  This might not be fixable through a registry hack, but there is no reason why one of the developers can't quickly put together a hotfix of some kind to bypass this idiotic prompt.
    • Proposed as answer by antiekeradio Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:10 PM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 7:10 AM
  • his is a bit of a 'me too' post.. but errr; yeah.  I find this very annoying too.

In my opinion one should be able to kill these warning messages in the menu for folder options (where you can choose to hide the extension of known file types etc).

Registry hack would not be an ideal option.. but if it's possible I would do it of course!!

Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:14 PM
  • I wholeheartedly agree that it's way paternalistic behavior from Windows, and as such is very irritating. It's not up to OS to decide which files can or cannot be played on device. Not only that, but it can't even properly make this determination.
    Friday, January 11, 2013 9:49 PM
  • "Me Too"

Although I can see that MicroSoft's intention was to be helpful, in this case it failed.

Every file I've copied to my device has been playable, but I still get warned every time. 

This message is both annoying and (in my case) misleading.

*Please* can we have an option to disable this check?

Monday, January 14, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Really annoying. I suppose we can be thankful that Microsoft don't feel compelled to warn us every time we copy files around our computers. "You are copying a file from C:\ to D:\ drive. If its a document you might not be able to read it if its written in another language. We might not even be able to open the file. Please confirm you absolve Microsoft of all responsibility for handling this file...

• Proposed as answer by PyotrAr Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:23 PM
    Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Another one in a long line of "Microsoft trying to be helpful but coming out as obnoxious in the end" stories... A short "Never warn me again" or at the very least "Never warn me again for this device" would go a long way...

Reminds me of the famous message that popped up every time you pulled an SD card from your reader without asking XP for permission first! Thankfully they've removed that; perhaps the "Your device might not be able to play" will be gone by Windows 10..?

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:55 PM
  • So this is an ongoing issue from May of last year, one that appears relatively simple to solve, yet it still hasn't seen a fix? And this "feature" is also included in Win8?

I just started running into this annoying prompt, and a quick Google search finds complaints sprawled across numerous forums regarding it.

I think this issue sums up my sole dislike of the modern Windows UI: it deliberately hides/disables useful functionality and patronizes it's users.

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:49 PM
  • The authors have had two years and two major releases to take this valueless feature out behind the shed, or at least make it optional. Is it still correct that there's no way to suppress these erroneous error messages?
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 9:54 PM
  • I have the same problem and I haven't found a solution except switching from Media Transfert Protocol to  Mass Storage Device mode. However a solution might be to add to the list of supported file type so it stops asking. There as to be a list on the device,maybe we can add * filetypes as supported ?
    Saturday, May 3, 2014 10:44 PM
  • Adding another "this design is ridiculous" vote. Windows should not be concerned about whether I will or will not be able to play/view the file. Furthermore, what device nowadays can't play mp3s?

I suggest Microsoft patch this, 'cause it's annoying, patronizing, superfluous and unnecessary.

Friday, June 6, 2014 12:20 PM
  • Just in case MS is listening: I completely agree with the people above. This is an annoying and useless warning. 

I think we can safely assume that people who connect their phone with SD card to their computer and drag-and-drop files into it, (1) go through this process for some reason, (2) know more or less what they are doing, and (3) will not damage their computer or their phone.

There is no good reason why there shouldn't at least be an off-switch in the registry. Sorry guys, this is just bad design.

Friday, June 20, 2014 1:06 PM
  • Agreed. Stupid that there isn't a simple way to disable this. 

That said this solution (unregistering the .dll) worked for me.

http://superuser.com/questions/402225/disable-prompt-to-convert-videos-copied-to-media-device

Monday, August 4, 2014 12:32 PM
  • +1 to this whole thread. This is a stupid and patronizing "feature" that does nothing to assist the user but get in the way and be annoying. I'd like to slap whatever Management person decided this was a good idea, and especially didn't provide a way to disable it.
    Saturday, August 23, 2014 10:34 PM
  • Hello,

Please, this is so annoying!!! On what basis does windows (WRONGLY) conclude that the files will not be playable? Is there a list of accepted extensions that it won't complain over?? Can we add custom file extensions to that green-list??

Obviously, this file is causing this idiotic prompt: C:\Windows\System32\wpdshext.dll
    It's not a solution to just remove the file because it is still necessary to see the MTP device in explorer.
    Can someone with a dll editor and knowledge tell us what lines to modify in wpdshext.dll to remove the prompt?

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Why the hell is this still an issue? You can see how many people want it fixed. Fix it, please.
    Friday, October 17, 2014 2:14 PM
  • This is a bug, not a feature.  How many years have we struggled with this.  Microsoft, a company with budgets that rival Mars landings and it can't disable an utterly pointless prompt.  MTP itself is pretty much garbage, and to add this prompt to it is torture.

How difficult is it to just have simple drag and drop file transfer.

And MP3??  Seriously??  The ONE universally supported format on pretty much everything?  I've never heard of a device that MAY not play MP3, but apparently Microsoft has hit this issue so many times they felt it necessary to expend budget on baking in a warning around it that's so deep even the best minds at Microsoft can not disable it.

Honestly Microsoft, this is a joke.  We're going insane here.

Friday, December 5, 2014 10:06 AM
  •      Download ShellExView by NirSoft

Find the extension named Portable Devices Menu

Right click > Disable Selected Items

done.  This works.  I tried it.
    • Proposed as answer by DougCassidy Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:54 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2015 1:54 PM
  • The ShellExView software didn't work for me.

Please, Microsoft, I beg you, don't include this in Windows 10! I'm using Windows 8.1 and it's a huge pain to copy files over to my Google Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, especially since I can't always just blanket copy all folders in a directory at once.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:07 AM
  • Yes, i'm annoyed too. The MTP protocol is the biggest piece of SH*T ever coming out of MS, imo. And this stupid warning message made MTP stink even worse.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 11:57 PM
  • My device might not be able to play MP3's?  Thank-you, Microsoft, for letting me know.  And thank-you for reminding me every time I copy an MP3 file.  Thank-you for halting the entire process so that I can sit, and read, and understand this profound statement.  For, without this important message, I might in fact actually copy an MP3 to my device, and without you bringing the entire operation to a screeching halt, I might have forgotten in between copying track 1 and track 2 of this incredibly important notification.  Thank-you for ensuring that I acknowledge this message each and every time I copy and file.

Seriously.

It is now 2016 and this "feature" is still not fixed, despite the volumes of very annoyed users here who unanimously agree that this "feature" does nothing but waste their time and makes Windows not copy the files that they want to copy.

Sunday, January 17, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Tried it, didn't work.

Win7x64 to Sheild Tablet K1 Android 7.0

I do not mean what I do not say.

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:36 PM
  • You silly people. You do know know what you want. Microsoft knows what you want.

OK, Seriously, this is annoying as hell. Thank god I finally got a "stupid" phone so I could share in the frustration with so many others over this idiotic "feature".

I mean, FFS! What modern device does not play mp3's and mp4's natively?

I do not mean what I do not say.

• Edited by Sqrly Friday, May 5, 2017 8:41 PM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 8:38 PM
  • A fake answer. The desire is to use the PC's OS to copy the files!

A decent OS would not put up warnings that deliberately misinform in the guise of being "helpful".

Evidently M$oft has done a deal with copyright owners, and the deal required something like this.

As usual M$oft's motives are corrupt.

• Edited by pzbrawl2 Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:17 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:16 PM