This task is currently locked by a running workflow and cannot be edited

Question

• Hey, I created a workflow that would I would get the above message after a few days of maddness,  I tried the HelloWorldSequential from the ECM Starter Kit and am getting the same message. (If first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions)  But alas I get the same error.

Can anyone shed some light on this..

Steps to recreate:

1) Deploy the HelloWorldSequential from the ECM

2) Associate to a document library and start a workflow on a doc.

3) Fill out the init Form and submit (so far so good, debugs as well)

4) Now select  task review, add feedback info and submit.

5) Please wait while your task is updated... is displayed for about 30 seconds / debugger is not entered. / onTaskChange is not fired

6) Select the task again, press submit on the form and

"This task is currently locked by a running workflow and cannot be edited"  error is displayed.

Terminate Workflow start again - Debugger works but still the same problem.

Anyone have the same type of issue....  

Thanks!!

Bruce VB

Friday, May 11, 2007 1:46 PM

Answers

•  

This error is caused by removing one of the standard fields from the Task List workflow (I am  guilty). 

To recreate

1) delete the assigned to column from the standard or a custom task list.

2) Start approval workflow that uses the list. 

3) Approve the task 

4) Task will be complete but workflow status will remain in progress - no error messages in logs or event logs

5) Terminate workflow, readd colum, start workflow - workflow will move to approval status properly.

Rule #7574  Do not  delete standard tasks columns even if they are not required in your workflow,  Edit view instead to not display the column.

Hope this helps someone else!!!

Bruce VB

Monday, May 14, 2007 12:48 PM

All replies

• hi bruce,

i understood the problem,  here once u assign a task or any library to a workflow, u should wait still it complete.

here, first of all u should see error log and find the bug or error message.

go to web extensions/12/logs and select file based on time stamp and see the bug, it may give some clues. if u found come again.

thanks
     praveen
    Monday, May 14, 2007 12:27 PM
  •  

This error is caused by removing one of the standard fields from the Task List workflow (I am  guilty). 

To recreate

1) delete the assigned to column from the standard or a custom task list.

2) Start approval workflow that uses the list. 

3) Approve the task 

4) Task will be complete but workflow status will remain in progress - no error messages in logs or event logs

5) Terminate workflow, readd colum, start workflow - workflow will move to approval status properly.

Rule #7574  Do not  delete standard tasks columns even if they are not required in your workflow,  Edit view instead to not display the column.

Hope this helps someone else!!!

Bruce VB

Monday, May 14, 2007 12:48 PM
  • nice bruce,

it's good reply from  u,
    i too don't know this solution
    thanks
    Monday, May 14, 2007 12:54 PM
  • When I had this problem I didn't have properties assigned correctly to my update task event, I had the task ID but didnt assign the properties, you need to double check all those to make sure they have the correct new field in them and not the defaults.

Also for the previous poster you can just edit the content type and hide the fields you don't need instead from the workflow task type. This will make them not show up in views or the form which is nice. You will want to delete the regular task type and or new task type too or you will have a choose content type field on your edit form that might get confusing, but all you do is remove all but the one type and it will go away. Hope this helps.

Friday, May 18, 2007 3:10 AM
  • Exactly. I searched for hours.

The probleme in my case was that i had changed the 'assigned to' field to allow multiple entries in the workflow task lists.

IT lock all tasks created by my workflow

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:16 AM
  • I also got this error, but for a different reason.

My workflow created several tasks and I was accidentally assigning a new TaskID and properties to an existing task, instead of the new one.

Stupid really. :)
    JJBongo
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:51 AM
  • I have same problem :(
    I am developing leave application workflow. Everything is working fine, only If I use task list to edit the task which use my custom infopath taskform0 to
    do approve or disapprove it works fine.
    But If I use infopath form and click edit button in infopath ribbon and when I click approve/disapprove, edit button will come again & if I click it again i get I get "

This task is currently locked by a running workflow and cannot be edited"

Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Bruce,

This DEFINITELY helped me! I had workflow tasks that would not actually complete, even though I clicked the Complete button. And I had recently removed a column from "New Task" content type. I restored it from the site columns list and now the tasks actually complete and my workflow continues.

THANKS!!!

Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:19 PM