Sound Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Not exactly sure how this happened, but on 12/18/08 my windows updated itself and now i am having sound issues. I can play some sounds in the themes setup, at the moment i can run Resident Evil 4 and the Star Wars themes only, the Windows Default theme does not work at all for some reason, but that's not all, most of my games have no sound and i cannot play videos or music on the pc now, as i have no sound either. Everything was fine till that fateful Thursday. I went into my sound setup and reconfigured everything, but still no luck, so i uninstalled all my sound drivers and reinstalled again, still no luck. Anybody got any ideas on what to do. I am running Vista 32bit
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 4:33 PM

Answers

•  

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

First I suggest referring to the following article to try the suggestions:

Tips for fixing common sound problems

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx#EI

If the issue persists, please download and install the latest driver from the following link:

ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/6285_Vista_APO_PG536.zip

Are you using a headphone or speakers? You can use both headphone and speakers to test the result.

If the issue still occurs, let’s try the following suggestions to test the issue:

Suggestion 1 Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Suggestion 2 Create a new account

=================

1. Open Control Panel and open User Accounts.

2. Click Manager User Accounts and click Change another account.

3. Click Create a new account and type a name.

4. Choose account type as Administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

Can we hear sound in the new account?

If the issue persists, please send me the System Information.

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. I have created a FTP site and you can upload the above files to us from the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8e3c988f-438d-4026-822d-4cc2d0a33e84

Password: a$pH{[-Z*M@akO{+

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:40 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I suggest performing a System Restore to restore the system to the day before the issue began to occur.

System Restore

==========

1. Before you start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click System Restore.

3. Select "Choose a different restore point" and click Next.

4. From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point when your system was working correctly and click "Next".

5. Click Finish and System Restore will restart the computer to apply these changes.

After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in the System Restore user interface.

Note: System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. It does not affect personal files, such as e mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

If the issue persists, please let me know the brand and model of your computer/sound card.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, December 22, 2008 8:35 AM
  • Well firstly thanks for the reply.

Here we go, i did a system restore back to 12/12/08, that's as far back as it would let me go, but i did restore it back on consecutive days leading to the 12th, and guess what, still no sound from my windows applications, i even updated the software (although most was up to date) but still no luck. All i get is the sound from the original Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars sound packs. But not to get anything from my Media Player, Real Player or my Zune software player is pretty frustrating.
    Most of the games i have also do not have sound, some do like Half Life 2, Call Of Duty - World At War, but games from reflexive arcade which i install and gamehouse do not play sounds in the games, the kids are not happy, but here is my PC set up for you.
    OS = Windows Premium Home Edition 32bit
    MoBo = MSI K9N4 SLI
    Graphics Card = Nvidia 8400 GS x2 (although i do not have SLI running)
    Sound Card = Realtek AC'97

As i said before, everything was working great till Thursday, then i came home from work Friday Morning at 6:30am and my PC restarted itself from the update, and the rollbacks did not alleviate the problems either. Hope this info helps you out. Please do not hesitate in asking for more info if you need it, the last thing i want is a complete re-install of my OS as i am trying to hold out for windows x being released next year.

Regards

John Banks

PS.
    My PC is a custom built one.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:48 PM
  •  

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

First I suggest referring to the following article to try the suggestions:

Tips for fixing common sound problems

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1e87a3e8-c0e8-49af-980f-9eb6686f42d21033.mspx#EI

If the issue persists, please download and install the latest driver from the following link:

ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/6285_Vista_APO_PG536.zip

Are you using a headphone or speakers? You can use both headphone and speakers to test the result.

If the issue still occurs, let’s try the following suggestions to test the issue:

Suggestion 1 Clean boot

=================

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Suggestion 2 Create a new account

=================

1. Open Control Panel and open User Accounts.

2. Click Manager User Accounts and click Change another account.

3. Click Create a new account and type a name.

4. Choose account type as Administrator.

5. Click Create Account.

6. Log off and log on with the new account.

Can we hear sound in the new account?

If the issue persists, please send me the System Information.

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. I have created a FTP site and you can upload the above files to us from the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=8e3c988f-438d-4026-822d-4cc2d0a33e84

Password: a$pH{[-Z*M@akO{+

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Tim,
    Thanks for the suggestions, i downloaded the drivers via your link and installed them, now everything is back as it should be, still cannot figure out why, when i went onto the main web page for realtek and downloaded the newest updates it did not work, but at least with your link it did, thanks for all your help in resolving my slight technical issue, now time to work on my other issues.

Again, many thanks for your help

Regards

John Banks
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:15 PM