Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - Stuck at 0% RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just yesterday I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade for a new machine I had just purchased.

I let the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant run for about 13 hours over night, knowing that the 2GB download would take some time on this network. Coming in this morning I saw that it was still at 0%. I restarted the Assistant and after a few hours it is still at 0%.

I have done the following:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns
    reboot
    restart assistant.
    Clean Boot
    Uninstalled Anti-Virus
    Tried my home network
    Tried a friend's home network.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Not Hagedoorn Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:38 PM Updated What i've tried.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• What I've tried has been updated. Thanks...

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:38 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean you have upgraded successfully?

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:35 AM
  • I have not. I successfully purchased the upgrade. Then I was forwarded to download Windows 8 using the Windows 8 Setup Tool (I believe they called it Upgrade Assistant at some point.)

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth command.

If the issue still occurs, please try to run bitsadmin /info "Windows Dlp Manager" /verbose to see the detail verbose download information.

Besides, there should have some related logs under %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WebSetup\Panther\Setupact.log.

Please let us know above information.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, November 3, 2012 12:52 AM
  • I am having the exact same error.

When I checked the log file i discovered an error:

2012-11-04 11:21:44, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] BitsTransport: Entering Prepare Method
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] BitsTransport: Leaving Prepare Method
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] Prepare thread has exited.
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] DlpTask: Transferring Files...
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] Transfer execution thread timeout period: [1000 ms]
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] BitsTransport: Entering Execute Method
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   [WINDLP] BitsExecute: Resuming BITS job.
    2012-11-04 11:21:45, Info                  CONX   Progress stalled: [ Error: 0x41800100 ] The BITS job is currently queued. 
    2012-11-04 11:21:48, Info                  CONX   Progress stalled: [ Error: 0x80070083 ] An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

2012-11-04 11:21:48, Warning               CONX   [WINDLP] Bits Error: Fatal = [No], State = [TransientError], Error_Context = [BG_ERROR_CONTEXT_LOCAL_FILE], hr = [0x80070083], Description = [An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

Any ideas??

Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Peterson, I feel like we're getting on the right track.

Under \Microsoft\WebSetup\Panther\Setupact.log, most of my log file is filled with:

Progress stalled: [ Error: 0x80070083 ] An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.

It says in the log file that the product key was successfully validated. I don't see any other real errors.

Edit:

After running "bitsadmin /info "Windows Dlp Manager" /verbose" (which shouldn't have done anything imo) I am now getting a new error when I launch the download tool.

"The Download Task Did Not Complete. Unspecified Error"

I removed the WebSetup folder and started the download again. I'm getting an error "We can't connect right now. Check your internet connection and try again"

Maybe it's down for the time being?

Monday, November 5, 2012 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

The error 0x80070083 just means "An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file". Actually the Windows 8 Upgrade assistance use BITS to download the Windows 8, now I advise you run bitsadmin /reset /allusers.

If the issue still occurs, please try this component http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Regards,

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Running bitsadmin /reset /allusers resulted in 0 out of 0 jobs being canceled. After doing this command I tried to run the downloader again and I'm still experiencing the "We can't connect right now. Check your Internet Connection and  try again."

I then ran the Microsoft Fix-It Utility you linked. After it completed I tested again only to receive the same message. Same result after a reboot.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:35 PM
  • Hi,

Have you set IE proxy? If that is the case, please clear the IE proxy and then try again.

Regards,

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:56 AM
  • I have not.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to upgrade the NIC drive,  if possible, please also try to change a NIC card.

Regards,

Thursday, November 8, 2012 1:58 PM
  • The NIC card is updated. I tried swapping for another NIC to no avail. I also tried a wireless card on a different network with no luck either.

I purchased the Upgrade Disc for $15. This should allow me to upgrade without doing the download, correct?

Friday, November 9, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

If you purchased the Upgrade disk, theoretically you have no need for the download except the new updates.

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hey, what if im stuck with the same issue. I dont have a CD, and Im upgrading via internet. Its been at 0% for ages.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

Regarding such issue occurs, it may cause by:

a. The previous Windows client has some problems, such as cannot download/install any updates.

b. The Windows 8 Upgrade Assistance was not installed correctly.

c. Pure network connection issue.

For these possible causes, I advise you do:

a. Please run CheckSUR(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821?wa=wsignin1.0) or sfc/scannow command

b. Try to re-install Windows 8 Upgrade Assistance.

c. Double check whether the network connection is OK.

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Not Hagedoorn Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:58 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:50 AM
  • Solution: Buy the disc.
    • Marked as answer by Not Hagedoorn Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:59 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:59 PM
  • The answer is to turn off metered connection on the network connection or to allow updates on metered connections. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/1lupdu/windows_update_stuck_at_0_is_not_downloading/

Friday, April 11, 2014 5:07 AM