none
FIM disaster recovery – need help on miisactivate.exe RRS feed

• Question

• We use FIM synchronization service ,FIM sync service and DB is collocated . We are planning to set up disaster recovery.DR server will be in different datacenter .We will restore FIM DB in DR server. Based on the this thread  there are 2 ways to set up this

1. Run miisactivate.exe  (need domain groups during the original setup of the Sync service)

2. Install (or re-install) the Sync Service on the second server, telling it to use the existing DB.

Does miisactivate.exe work in our scenario? Does database server name has to be same for  both FIM servers (primary & DR ) to use  miisactivate.exe ?  In our case ,since we are copying/restoring database to DR server ,database name will change. I am not sure whether this option will work in our case.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:48 PM

Answers

• Assuming you used domain groups during your setup, I don't think there should be any problem with using miisactivate.exe.  I'll confess I've only tried it once in a test environment and it was in the ILM 2007 era, but it should still work.

Remember that you need the exported key set in order to reuse the service account passwords stored securely in the database.  I believe if you don't have it, you will be prompted to reenter each MA's service account password during the activation process.

In the thread you referenced, Piotr's method of having a second sync server running in parallel is what we use.  Of course that may mean that you need to have it licensed.  If the services are installed, but not running, you may not have to buy a FIM license for the second site.  That's something you'd want to clarify with your Microsoft rep.

Of course this all assumes you are ONLY running the sync engine.  If you also have the FIM Service/Portal running, you're probably looking at a reinstall on top of restored databases.  In that case, the FIM MA will probably have to have its configuration tweaked with the new server and database name changes.

Chris

• Marked as answer by Rahul_MSDN Monday, April 1, 2013 6:17 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:48 PM
  • The main thing that MIISActivate does is store the active Synchronization Service's hostname in the database.  This is basically used to ensure that only one instance of the Sync Service is trying to use the database.  I can't think of any reason that varying the SQL server's name would upset FIM.

That said, changing the actual name of the database can be a problem; last I checked, the Sync Service does not provide for customizing the database name during the install process.  I've changed it after installation via the documented registry keys and that does work, but that's of little help when one is trying to do initial setup.

Steve Kradel, Zetetic LLC SMS OTP for FIM | Salesforce MA for FIM

• Marked as answer by Rahul_MSDN Monday, April 1, 2013 6:16 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 4:56 PM

All replies

• Assuming you used domain groups during your setup, I don't think there should be any problem with using miisactivate.exe.  I'll confess I've only tried it once in a test environment and it was in the ILM 2007 era, but it should still work.

Remember that you need the exported key set in order to reuse the service account passwords stored securely in the database.  I believe if you don't have it, you will be prompted to reenter each MA's service account password during the activation process.

In the thread you referenced, Piotr's method of having a second sync server running in parallel is what we use.  Of course that may mean that you need to have it licensed.  If the services are installed, but not running, you may not have to buy a FIM license for the second site.  That's something you'd want to clarify with your Microsoft rep.

Of course this all assumes you are ONLY running the sync engine.  If you also have the FIM Service/Portal running, you're probably looking at a reinstall on top of restored databases.  In that case, the FIM MA will probably have to have its configuration tweaked with the new server and database name changes.

Chris

• Marked as answer by Rahul_MSDN Monday, April 1, 2013 6:17 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:48 PM
  • The main thing that MIISActivate does is store the active Synchronization Service's hostname in the database.  This is basically used to ensure that only one instance of the Sync Service is trying to use the database.  I can't think of any reason that varying the SQL server's name would upset FIM.

That said, changing the actual name of the database can be a problem; last I checked, the Sync Service does not provide for customizing the database name during the install process.  I've changed it after installation via the documented registry keys and that does work, but that's of little help when one is trying to do initial setup.

Steve Kradel, Zetetic LLC SMS OTP for FIM | Salesforce MA for FIM

• Marked as answer by Rahul_MSDN Monday, April 1, 2013 6:16 PM
    Friday, March 29, 2013 4:56 PM