none
Default Settings. Custom Fields. Distributing template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. 3 questions:-

1. When you set up MS Project Desktop in a new organisation, what are the typical MS Project options you edit for distribution in a template? I for one ensure new tasks are auto scheduled, show entry bar, update working time and default start and end time to match the organisations working times (with corresponding updates to calendar). I also show project summary task.
    2. What are the first custm fields you set up? I always add a RAG text custom field via a lookup and indicators; add a 'person responsible' custom text field; a flag fierld with a formula to show those tasks without predecessor.
    3. When you have set up the plan as you wish, how best do you distribute this plan for others to use as a template?
    Monday, February 29, 2016 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Rapscalli,

Are you refering to MS Project desktop only, or Project Server / Online as well?

1- You've pretty have the settings to be configured in a template. Most important are the calendar settings with the start default time and the working week. But the template should also contain tasks, deliverables, resources (generic), dependencies, views, reports...

2- The displayed columns really depends on your organization and what are the KPIs you want to track. I generally consider 2 types of custom fields: CF related to the business and type of projects (for example, for construction or IT projects, you'll have different CF) and CF related to KPIs. Do you want to monitor costs, work, schedule variance? Do you have corporate KPIs you need/want to cascade in the template?

3- It depends on your deployment model: do you deploy MS Project desktop or Server/Online? For the desktop, you can host the template on a share drive or develop a simple application to initiate projects. For Online/Server, you can create project types to associate with templates.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by rapscalli Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:25 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 11:54 AM

All replies

• Anybody?
    Monday, October 2, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Hi Rapscalli,

Are you refering to MS Project desktop only, or Project Server / Online as well?

1- You've pretty have the settings to be configured in a template. Most important are the calendar settings with the start default time and the working week. But the template should also contain tasks, deliverables, resources (generic), dependencies, views, reports...

2- The displayed columns really depends on your organization and what are the KPIs you want to track. I generally consider 2 types of custom fields: CF related to the business and type of projects (for example, for construction or IT projects, you'll have different CF) and CF related to KPIs. Do you want to monitor costs, work, schedule variance? Do you have corporate KPIs you need/want to cascade in the template?

3- It depends on your deployment model: do you deploy MS Project desktop or Server/Online? For the desktop, you can host the template on a share drive or develop a simple application to initiate projects. For Online/Server, you can create project types to associate with templates.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by rapscalli Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:25 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 11:54 AM