none
Create Share of USB Hard Drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hard drive hooked up through a USB -> SATA cable. However, when I try to create a Share, it does not appear as a Volume to choose from. How can I make it appear shareable from that interface?

I know I can more than likely do the old fashioned Advanced Sharing options route, but any Windows OS can do that. I would like to use the Windows Server exclusive way that allows advanced management and statistics. 

Monday, August 12, 2019 11:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

May I ask more information about your current situation?

1)Have you tried to check the driver of USB -> SATA cable and the hard drive's driver, please check to update these.

2)Could the hard drive show in the diskmanagement and file explorer?

3)Could you get the information of the hard drive by typing "Get-Physicaldisk" in the powershell?

4)Would you mind please posting a screenshot for the issue's symptom when you create a share?

5)What's your OS version and please also try to update the OS to see if it helps.

If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards.

Michael  

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:32 AM
  • 1. There are no updates for the drivers in device manager

2. The hard drive appears perfectly fine in File Explorer, I can browse files and everything. It shows up fine in diskmanagement too.

3. Get-PhysicalDisk returns my drive where the OS is installed on as well as the USB HDD (ASMT ASM1352-PM).

4. It isn't available as a volume to select, these are just my two partitions on my SSD, no HDD to be found.

5. I'm running 1809 

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Could you manually create a file share in the USB HDD, then access it?

Please check if your OS needs to update.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:06 AM