none
Per Hosted Organization Journaling Rules RRS feed

• Question

• Good day to everybody!

I am currently setting up an Exchange 2010 Standard SP1 /hosting environment and have kept pretty much the standard configuration coming out of the box for the hosting plans and features. I am attempting to set up journaling rules at a per hosted organization level and am running into some issues when attempting to create the journaling rules themselves.

Steps I have taken:

• Created an Organization:

new-organization -name "Constoso" -DomainName "contoso.com" -ProgramID HostingSample -OfferID 2 -Location en-US -AdministratorPassword $c.password
    • Created a User Mailbox:

new-mailbox "John Doe" -UserPrincipalName jdoe@contoso.com -Organization "Contoso"
    • Created Journaling Mailbox:

new-mailbox "Journaling" -UserPrincipalName journal@contoso.com -Organization "Contoso"
    • Turned off Quota's, etc for Journaling Mailbox:

get-mailbox "Journaling" -Organization "Contoso" | set-mailbox -UseDatabaseQuotaDefaults $false -IssueWarningQuota unlimited -ProhibitSendQuota unlimited -ProhibitSendReceiveQuota unlimited
    • Attempted to create Journal Rule via Shell:

new-journalrule -Name "Contoso Journaling" -Organization "Contoso" -JournalEmailAddress "Journaling" -Scope Global -Enabled $true

Generates Error: No recipient matched the speicfied parameter value.

new-journalrule -Name "Contoso Journaling" -Organization "Contoso" -JournalEmailAddress journal@contoso.com -Scope Global -Enabled $true

Generates Error: The specified recipient is invalid.
    • Created Distribution Group to house mailboxes to be journaled thinking maybe it was because I didn't specify what to journal:

new-journalrule -Name "Contoso Journaling" -Organization "Contoso" -Recipient journalDL@contoso.com -JournalEmailAddress "Journaling" -Scope Global -Enabled $true

Generates Error: No recipient matched the speicfied parameter value.

new-journalrule -Name "Contoso Journaling" -Organization "Contoso" -Recipient journalDL@contoso.com -JournalEmailAddress journal@contoso.com -Scope Global -Enabled $true

Generates Error: The specified recipient is invalid.
    • Attempted to create Journal Rule through OWA -> Options -> Manage My Organization -> Mail Control -> Journaling -> Journal Rules -> New...:

* If the message is sent to or from: [Apply to all messages]
      * Journal the following messages... All Messages
      * Send journal Reports to: journal@contoso.com
      Name of Rule: Contoso Journaling

Clicked Save, Error: The specified recipient is invalid. Same thing happens if I specify the distribution list for the message to or from.

I am at a bit of a loss as to why this isn't working. My theory is that the new-journalrule cmdlet is ignoring the -Organization parameter since the mailboxes I'm trying to send journal reports to obviously exist. I've tried piping in the identity of those mailboxes various ways, but the new-journalrule cmdlet doesn't take direct piping from get-mailbox commands, and any formatting of data from the get-mailbox commands returns the same errors stated before. Any suggestions are definitely welcome. We are trying to avoid doing something at a global level due to the nature of the hosting environment.

Thanks and have a great day!

Thomas Rhoads

Network Support Professional

Invision Technologies, LLC.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas

Try, New-JournalRule -Name "ContosoJournal" -Organization "Contoso" -JournalEmailAddress "Contoso\journal@contoso.com" -Scope Global -Enabled $true. Just double check and send an email and check in the mailbox journal@contoso.com for the journal reciept. Ideally your journal recipient will be an External Contact, if using a service such as Global Relay for example.

When piping or running commands at the Forest level which do not support the -Organization parameter specify the object including the Organisation name. For example, -Identity "Contoso\user@contoso.com".

Have you thought of using Retention Policy in combination with a Discovery Mailbox rather than Journal (unless there is some requirement to do so)? You save on seperate archive infrastructure and keep administration/delegation in Exchange/Outlook.

Daniel Noakes

Daniel Noakes | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010 / Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2007
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:57 AM
  • I want to get you a hint for future journaling issues in hosted mode: the archiving email should be OUTSIDE the hosted exchange. If not, no journaled emails will be delivered into the mailbox - they will just silently lost.

Regarding your last command

new-journalrule -Name "Contoso Journaling" -Organization "Contoso" -Recipient journalDL@contoso.com -JournalEmailAddress journal@contoso.com -Scope Global -Enabled $true

it may not work if distribution list was created without parameter -Organization "Contoso".

Also remember that there are new hosting-only parameters like FullReport and LawfulInterception. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125242.aspx

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:12 AM