none
Trying to deploy image with DISM, but unable to boot. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've made a image using sysprep and DISM.

I've captured the image from my reference machine, and I'm now trying to deploy it to one with identical hardware.

To do this, I've used the following resources: docs.microsoft. com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-deployment-sample-scripts-sxs#apply-image

and: docs.microsoft. com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-deployment-sample-scripts-sxs#CreatePartitions-_firmware_.txt

When I run the apply image script, it is saying that it's copying boot files correctly, but when I try to start the machine I get that no boot media was found.

Not really sure where to start looking here, has anyone faced similar issues?

Using WinPE to boot, and Windows Enterprise 2016 LTSP on my machines.

Thanks!

Monday, November 4, 2019 9:11 AM

All replies

• I've now also tried to deploy it as a compact OS, and capturing the image anew.

I've checked the target directory, and it looks like the boot files are there. I'm not sure what is required for the system to recognize the boot files?

Monday, November 4, 2019 11:58 AM
  • It seems that you have successfully captured the image.... Where exactly you have stuck! Please provide the more details or screenshots will be helpful 
    Monday, November 4, 2019 12:31 PM
  • Hi Jitesh, thanks for the reply.

The ApplyImage.bat script ends with it successfully running the command " W:\Windows\System32\bcdboot W:\Windows /s S: "

I then try to restart the machine, but BIOS can't find a boot drive. It simply says

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I've tried resetting my BIOS to factory defaults without success.

Monday, November 4, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Great.. How are you applying the images to system! Hope these steps help You

You will required the two ports! One for Booting the system to WinPE and Storage with saved Image.

Check here to create bootable media link

1. Try to boot the system through WinPE Media.

2. Keep Ready storage drive where the captured image is saved.

3. Apply the image using DISM. 

Dism /apply-image /imagefile:<Storage Drive>:\Images\my-windows-partition.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

[Change the drive name and wim file name]

4. To set up a basic system partition, you can use the BCDboot tool to copy a simple set of system files to a system partition. These files include boot configuration data (BCD) information that is used to start Windows:

Use the BCDboot tool to copy common system partition files and to initialize boot configuration data:

C:\Windows\System32\bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-US

• Edited by JiteshKumar Monday, November 4, 2019 1:49 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

It completed without any errors, but still missing boot media when starting the machine.

EDIT: Trying the BCDBoot tool now, didn't see the edit.
    • Edited by Marcus3213 Monday, November 4, 2019 3:17 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Have you checked the disk partitions if It's MBR or GPT. Accordingly you need to set up the BIOS for proper booting up. If these things are fine, Check this Microsoft Article Point 4

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/advanced-troubleshooting-boot-problems

• Edited by JiteshKumar Monday, November 4, 2019 5:09 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2019 5:05 PM
  • Disk partition is GPT. I will check BIOS for any configurations.

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:08 AM
  • I ended up having to create a EFI folder manually in the system partition and using bcdboot to copy files from the Windows installation to the system partition.

Weird that I have to do this manually, I suppose I'll just include it in my deployment script.

Thanks for all the help!

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:05 AM