Windows Vista Not starting...startup recovery not helping... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Acer Aspire 4620 running windows vista sp1 for some reason at startup first message loads that "windows did not start" prompts me to pick either lauch startup repair or start windows normally, on starting windows normally...the bars come as if its starting then it basically turns off and restarts and same message is back again. On startup repair, takes me to a screen where it prompts me to chose an operating system to repair but the list is empty, asks to load drivers...which i don't know where the are or "next"clicking next it gives me recovery options which all haven't worked, I tried Alt+f10 to use the erovery but I receive an error message ''type mismatch'' top of the window titled D2D32...so..any help with this will be highly appreciated.
    • Edited by Bobby_itsme2 Monday, December 13, 2010 8:04 PM edit
    Monday, December 13, 2010 8:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try Start your computer in safe mode and Using Last Known Good Configuration to check if you can log in the system.

If it does not help, you might need to perform in-place upgrade.

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.

To perform in-place upgrade, you need the installation DVD with SP1 included.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, December 17, 2010 9:18 AM