Word 2016 footnotes and columns RRS feed

• Question

• I have a page with two columns of text and I want the footnote to be placed at the bottom of the page across the width of the whole page. At the moment, the footnote is being added to the bottom of the page also in the two column format but I want it across the whole width of the page.

I have tried using breaks to change the columns on the page from two to one, but the footnote seems to match the column format of wherever it is being referenced. Is there a way to change this?

If not, then the other option is to keep the two column format for the footnote but have the footnote in the right column after the two columns of text, because at the moment the footnote is positioned in the left column. Is there a way to do this?

• Edited by ninable Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:26 AM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:25 AM

Answers

• Even if the body of the document is formatted in newspaper columns, you can have a single column for the footnotes. Note that this isn't backward-compatible, that is, you must upgrade the document to Word 2013/2016 format for it to work. Once you have done that, make use of the "Columns" option in the Footnote and Endnote dialog box.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, August 22, 2016 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How do you insert the Footer for your Word document?

I set a document to two column then insert the Footer, the Footer can be shown in the middle bottom of the page by default.

In your scenario, please remove the inserted Footer, then add it back with the following steps:

Go to Insert tab, in the Header & Footer group. click Footer, select the build-in Banded footer to have a try.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 10:32 AM
  • I think you're talking about Footers and my question was regarding Footnotes. Two different things. Thanks anyway.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 11:28 AM
  • I think you're talking about Footers and my question was regarding Footnotes. Two different things. Thanks anyway.

Oh.. Sorry for my mistake. I see the Footnotes as Footer in my brain...

About the Footnotes in the References tab, it would inserted with your two columns settings automatically.

By default, Word 2016 positions footnotes in columns when a document has multiple columns. Additionally, footnotes begin in the first column on the page regardless of where the footnote reference appears in the body text. Word 2016 balances the footnotes across the footnote columns.

Based on my knowledge, we don't have any control over the width of the individual columns; Word makes them all of equal width.

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 12:06 PM
  • Even if the body of the document is formatted in newspaper columns, you can have a single column for the footnotes. Note that this isn't backward-compatible, that is, you must upgrade the document to Word 2013/2016 format for it to work. Once you have done that, make use of the "Columns" option in the Footnote and Endnote dialog box.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Monday, August 22, 2016 11:02 PM