Can I install a Virtual PC on a Shared user profile? RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

Is it possible and supported to install a virtual PC environment on a Shared user account?

The PC is installed in a classroom and we want to give the students the ability to learn how to install products as part of the teaching program. But without the risk that the C: partition gets altered or corrupted, so hence creating a Virtual environment in which the student can try and experiment.

SteadyState is set up so that shared users can’t install programs on the C: drive, so we want to look at this option.

Kind regards

Bob

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:46 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Bob,

I work in a school too, if I understand you correctly, could you not set up virtual pc's for each student and install steadystate on each virtual environment and export the shared profile to each virtual pc running steadystate???

This may sound cumbersome if you already have a working OS set up and running but as i haven't much experience with virtual PC's i am not sure how else you would do it.

I guess I would put the shared account on the virtual environment not the other way around, good luck and let me know what solution you choose, sounds like a lot of fun!

Rob

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:25 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Bob,

I work in a school too, if I understand you correctly, could you not set up virtual pc's for each student and install steadystate on each virtual environment and export the shared profile to each virtual pc running steadystate???

This may sound cumbersome if you already have a working OS set up and running but as i haven't much experience with virtual PC's i am not sure how else you would do it.

I guess I would put the shared account on the virtual environment not the other way around, good luck and let me know what solution you choose, sounds like a lot of fun!

Rob

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:25 AM
  • Rob,

Thanks for the response.

My question was a general question if one can run a Virtual PC on a PC which has SteadyState installed.

We have actually 11 PC’s running and only one general shared “student” account on each PC, so used by every students who logs on a PC.

So there is no need for multiple Virtual PC’s on a single PC.

So my initial general question remains

Best regards

Bob

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:00 AM