Windows 7 Aero Extended Desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have an issue with windows aero and extended desktop with two monitors.When i am switching back to one monitor Windows Aero is working without any issues.When i am changing my graphic settings to extend desktop with two monitors the theme will changed back.The tricky thing is, when i use "clone" to second monitor aero is working.Any ideas? I am using the following graphic adapters: Intel Q965/q963 Express Chipset Family. (both with the same driver newest version from intel)

Thx
    Mario
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, August 31, 2009 1:28 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Mario,

If the graphics memory is 256MB, it is required to update to the latest driver version and then check this issue again. Please also contact the display card manufacturer for more information.

Thanks,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Thursday, September 3, 2009 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Please post graphics memory of your graphics card. (right click desktop, select screen resolution, advanced settings, then post all of what it says)

A lot of times if this happens your graphics card cannot handle 2 monitors, rendered with Aero on, at the same time without resorting to a poor framerate and a system in which it is almost unusable because of the slow graphics (think poor framerate in a racing game with fancy graphics features on but works fine with them off), however the card can run Aero fine / render effects in real-time with no slowdowns with 1 monitor.

Sounds like that card you say you have is a onboard graphics card, which is even worse than dedicated cards at rendering Aero, which is another factor in this problem.
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:25 PM

All replies

• Please post graphics memory of your graphics card. (right click desktop, select screen resolution, advanced settings, then post all of what it says)

A lot of times if this happens your graphics card cannot handle 2 monitors, rendered with Aero on, at the same time without resorting to a poor framerate and a system in which it is almost unusable because of the slow graphics (think poor framerate in a racing game with fancy graphics features on but works fine with them off), however the card can run Aero fine / render effects in real-time with no slowdowns with 1 monitor.

Sounds like that card you say you have is a onboard graphics card, which is even worse than dedicated cards at rendering Aero, which is another factor in this problem.
    Hello! Please reply back, promptly if possible with the results to solutions to your problem!

Curious about Win7 min. system requirements?
    Readme: Older ATI, Intel onboard graphics, or NVIDIA graphics cards on Windows 7
    Windows 7 tips
    - JoelbX
    Monday, August 31, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi Mario,

If the graphics memory is 256MB, it is required to update to the latest driver version and then check this issue again. Please also contact the display card manufacturer for more information.

Thanks,

Linda

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:27 AM
  • Hi Mario.. I have the same problem with the same graphics card. Already updated to the latest driver version available on the Intel website.
    Please let me know if you've found a solution to this issue.

thanks!
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:49 AM
  • Same setup, I even updated to the latest BIOS as of today, updated to the latest Intel driver, still have the same problem. Although haven't try just the single monitor option, but really want to get the dual monitor working with the Aero Themes.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Onboard graphics controllers usually do not have any dedicated memory.  Instead they take part of the system memory away from the OS

See if there is a BIOS setting for the amount of shared memory to use for onboard VGA.  The default is usually "Auto".

I have the BIOS on my motherboard set to the maximum of 512 MB for video memory.  Aero rocks using the onboard AMD HD-3200 video controller.  I had the HDTV plugged in earlier to watch a PPT slide show.  Aero works fine before, during and after.  Of course this is not the same chipset by any means, but the bios setting might still apply.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 1:40 AM
  • My Optiplex 745 with Windows 7 Pro 64BIT and 8GB of RAM, I can only do the Aero Themes when displaying single monitor and using the digital port as my primary, when connecting the analog, thats when the Aero Theme is disable. I do have the latest BIOS ver 2.6.3 and the latest Intel Video driver ver 8.15.10.1930 which I updated yesterday.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 12:18 PM
  • No kidding.

I use the analog port all the time, since I use a KVM switch and I don't yet have an HD KVM.  I did notice that when I plugged in the TV to the digital port, Windows wanted to set it as the primary monitor.  I set it back to the analog.

Did you find any BIOS settings for video memory?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:57 AM
  • I managed to get aero working over extended desktop by installing a vista driver for the Intel q965. Below is the link, just make sure you select the correct version of vista that corresponds to your version of 7.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+82G965+Graphics+and+Memory+Controller+Hub+(GMCH)

When i installed it i got an error that said that it was an incompatible OS. However it then asked me if i wanted to try again with recommended settings. It then installed and Aero was working.

Hope this works for you.

Dan

• Proposed as answer by dan30383 Friday, March 26, 2010 2:48 PM
    Friday, March 26, 2010 2:47 PM
  • dan30383's solution WORKED!!!!!

So apparently you have to revert back to an older Vista driver to make the Windows 7 funtionality work. Very strange if you ask me.

Thanks so much dan30383 because I almost bought a new video card!

I don't know who takes care of this, but dan30383's answer should be the only one marked as the Accepted Answer to this question :)

Monday, March 29, 2010 2:54 PM
  • No worries, glad it worked for you :)
    Friday, April 9, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

I know its an old thread, but wanted to share solution I found.

I use multiple monitors and have nvidia graphics card, 2gb. By default windows would assign a very low resolution to 2nd monitor, I got around that by creating a custom resolution 1920x1080 in nvidia app settings. the aero was then disabled, upon further inspection I noticed the custom resolution was set at 16bit, changed it to 32bit and boom, everything is working fine now.

Saturday, May 21, 2016 10:00 AM