Where is filtering applied ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm looking at NAP capabilities for Windows Server 2008 and I need some information about it.
    I just want to know how filtering works.

Imagine my host is in quarantine due to NAP security policy,
    Where is the "packets blocking system" ? In my host's interface ? or is the NAP Server which block packets ?

I mean, if I just log into my domain with a 2008 Server/NAP and don't agree the policy, will I be able to join a different gateway ?

thx,

Regards,
    Jeremie
    • Edited by Jeremie.M Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:44 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi Jeremie,

Where the client is blocked depends on the enforcement method. With IPsec, it is blocked at the host computer. With 802.1X it is the switch or access point, with VPN it is the VPN server, and with DHCP it is essentially the DHCP server, although packets themselves don't pass through the DHCP server with DHCP enforcement.

What enforcement method are you using?

-Greg
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeremie,

Where the client is blocked depends on the enforcement method. With IPsec, it is blocked at the host computer. With 802.1X it is the switch or access point, with VPN it is the VPN server, and with DHCP it is essentially the DHCP server, although packets themselves don't pass through the DHCP server with DHCP enforcement.

What enforcement method are you using?

-Greg
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Thank you for your reply,

I'm actually don't use any method because it's just a project for the moment.
    I'm studying every case :)

Cheers,
    Jeremie
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:47 AM