Microsoft Security Essentials installment issue RRS feed

• Question

• I recently tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials, but was advised that: Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. Requirement: Windows Installer 3.1.

However, when I looked at the download page for Windows Installer 3.1 it's not actually listed as suitable for XP with SP3. I tried anyhow and: Setup has determined that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.

I had this same issue when I tried to install Microsoft NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1.

How can I rectify this please?
    Friday, July 6, 2012 11:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can download and install Windows Installer 4.5 from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483.
    It supports Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, July 6, 2012 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for helping. I believe that is what I already have, but I am being asked to install an earlier version.

How can I confirm what I have installed please?

Friday, July 6, 2012 8:52 PM
  • Open a command prompt window and run the following command

msiexec /?

Windows Installer will display its version informations inside a help window.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, July 7, 2012 10:04 AM
  • No I don't actually, I have Version 3.00.3790.2180 installed....so why am I being told: Setup has determined that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update when I try to install Windows Installer 3.1?

Do I need to uninstall what I have?

Saturday, July 7, 2012 11:14 AM
  • No, you don't need to do that: simply download the installation program from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8483, disable the antivirus protection, run the installation program as Administrator and restart your system after the installation's completion; enable again the antivirus protection after the system boots up.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Saturday, July 7, 2012 11:24 AM
  • I really appreciated your detailed step by step guide Luigi - just what a person (like myself) with limited computer knowledge needs. 

4.5 successfully installed. :) 

Should antivirus protection be disabled for all installations?

Sunday, July 8, 2012 10:01 AM
  • As you know, antivirus program perform real-time monitoring of the system activities and this could interfere with the operations performed by installation programs that can modifiy many files on a system: in my opinion, it's always a good practice turning off the antivirus protection when performing an installation and turning on it again as soon as the installation is complete (but you can usually avoid doing this when you're installing updates from Microsoft's Windows Update).

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:23 AM
  • I will follow your advice in future for all installations bar Microsoft's Windows Update.

You have been a great help - thank you.

Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:45 AM