News IT Technician RRS feed

• Question

• Printmig 3.1 does not create or move USB or Bluetooth printer ports: is there any way these ports can be created using an updated Print manager tool or by any other means, and by the way did i mention that this is on a Win 7 64-bit OS platform.

Thanks,

Law2930

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you install the printers on one computer and then share to others, then all other users can add the network printers to use.

For more information, you can refer to Share a printer

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:48 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Printmig 3.1 is Supported operating systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP , So it doesn't Support Windows 7 , but you can use Print management .

Start --> Run...   ---> printmanagement.msc

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / C|EH

Monday, July 16, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

The issue is that printmanagement.msc is not copying the ports over completely or not at all, listed below is a Description from event viewer:

Printbrm.exe (the Printer Migration Wizard or the command-line tool) cannot apply new settings for printer queue LAC-1 PRINTER because port USB008 that is saved in the cabinet (.cab) file does not exist on the destination server. This can occur if Printbrm.exe failed to migrate the port. Manually install the appropriate port, and then specify the appropriate printer settings or retry importing the print queue.

This would be still be too cumbersome to do for multiple laptops: Help is needed to resolve this issue if at all possible.

Thanks,

Law2930

• Edited by law2930 Monday, July 16, 2012 9:42 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

Before going on, I would like to check whether this is a network printer or a local printer?

According to the event log, it seems this issue is related to Printbrm.exe, which is to consolidate multiple print servers or replace an older print server, so I would like to verify whether you have replaced a new printer server.

Meanwhile, please check if the driver has been installed correctly or reinstall for a test.

More reference:

Migrate Print Servers

Print Services Migration: Preparing to Migrate

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

These are local hp printers that are connected through Bluetooth and USB. The issue is that we have at least 30 reporters that use these printers on the Trucks and we have to create a BT port and USB port for at least 15 printers. The port is not being copied over to each laptop and this is useless to us, in that then we have to manually create each port again for each individual laptop.  Is there any way to accomplish this task given similar tools mentioned?

Thanks,

law2930

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you install the printers on one computer and then share to others, then all other users can add the network printers to use.

For more information, you can refer to Share a printer

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, July 31, 2012 6:48 AM
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:34 AM