none
Outlook 2016 stops responding when I try and send an email

Question

• Doesn't happen all the time, but has been happening more frequently lately.  Already went through tech support and had to create a new profile and transfer everything  over.  Seemed OK for a couple weeks, but it's starting again.  Went to Outlook grudgingly since Live Mail is going away.   This getting to be a pain.  Had to recreate all my groups when I transferred over.
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What type of email account are you using? POP3, IMAP or Exchange?

Does this issue happen to certain users or random users?

When this issue happened, is there any application error logged in Event Viewer?

>>Already went through tech support and had to create a new profile and transfer everything over.

By "profile" do you mean a Windows user profile or an Outlook profile?

Since this issue happens when sending emails, have you tried recreating the send/receive file (.srs) and then see if this issue continues? To do this, exit Outlook, find the .srs file in the following path and then rename it by appending .old to the file name. Restart Outlook and see the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 3, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi, skets,

There are several reasons for the problem:

1. Oversized PST file. Although Outlook 2016 now supports PST files as large as 50GB. It is still highly recommended that your PST file should not larger than 10GB, because the larger your PST file is, the slower the operation will it be. And even lead to no response.

Outlook 2016 now supports to open several PST files together in the left panel. Therefore, it is highly recommended to move your emails into several different PST files with the Outlook rules, to reduce the size of each PST file. You may also utilize the Auto-Archive feature in Outlook to archive some of your old emails so to reduce the size of your main PST file.

For oversized PST files, you can split it into several small ones. Below are articles describing the detailed steps:

https://www.datanumen.com/blogs/split-large-outlook-file-small-ones/

If you want to use a tool to do the task automatically, then DataNumen Outlook Repair is a good option:

https://www.datanumen.com/outlook-repair/split.htm

2. Store your PST file on a network drive or server. PST file is designed to store on local computers. Do NOT store it on a remote drive or server since the network environment cannot support dense access of the PST file and will cause no response frequently. Also do NOT share the PST file on the network and do NOT let multiple users to access the same copy of the PST file via network simultaneously, which is prone to no response.

3. AntiVirus program. If your PST file is large and contains a lot of emails, and your AntiVirus program will protect it. Then most of the operations with the emails in your PST file will be affected by your AntiVirus program as well. If the program is slow, then the operations will also be slowed down.

4. Add-Ins. Some faulty Outlook Add-Ins may cause your Outlook slow or even no response if they are not designed correctly or running properly. Therefore, sometimes you need to disable the Add-Ins if your Outlook don't response frequently.

Hope that will helps.

Good luck!

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 12:00 AM
  • I am having the same issue. In fact, I have started seeing a LOT of problems ever since that so-called "Creators" update was installed.

It is occurring 100% of the time since today. I have done a repair/reinstall and that did not resolve it.

• Edited by KNERDY Saturday, June 3, 2017 3:52 AM
    Friday, June 2, 2017 9:28 PM
  • I am also experiencing this and found this starting after the creators update was installed.  Further, this lockup only occurs when it is communicating with exchange server hosted on Outlook365.  Outlook always locks up when it first loads, but then during the data if kept open it will lockup each time it communicates with Outlook365.
    Monday, June 12, 2017 9:56 PM