none
Excel offline files (Folder remap) "Sorry, we can't open \\server\FolderRemap\user\my documents\file.xlsx' because the server isn't responding. RRS feed

• Question

• So I have a user, whose My Documents & Desktop are remapped to the server but has offline files. 

While the laptop is offline, or unable to reach the local server he is getting the error: 

"Sorry, we can't open '\\server\FolderRemap\user\my documents\file.xlsx' because the server isn't responding.

Other files like PDFs open fine, but excel files do not. I just did the regedit to format the CSC cache which it did successfully. He was having the problem prior to this though. 

This is with the Office365 Business Premium app suite. Windows 10 Pro 1803 (latest updates). Seems like it should be opening the local offline cache version not the one directly on the server. 

Any ideas?

• Edited by xti9 Monday, May 13, 2019 4:13 PM body correction
    Monday, May 13, 2019 4:06 PM

All replies

• So I have a user, whose My Documents & Desktop are remapped to the server but has offline files. 

While the laptop is offline, or unable to reach the local server he is getting the error: 

"Sorry, we can't open '\\server\FolderRemap\user\my documents\file.xlsx' because the server isn't responding.

Other files like PDFs open fine, but excel files do not. I just did the regedit to format the CSC cache which it did successfully. He was having the problem prior to this though. 

This is with the Office365 Business Premium app suite. Windows 10 Pro 1803 (latest updates). Seems like it should be opening the local offline cache version not the one directly on the server. 

Any ideas?

Same issue
    Monday, May 13, 2019 11:11 PM
  • FYI seeing this with an Office 2013 user (Windows 7) - Word, Excel, and Powerpoint all have the issue. Weird thing is, having an internet connection allows access to the local cached copy. We tested using an external wi-fi with no path to the file server.
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:11 AM
  • Hi,

Could you provide the detail version number of Office 365 and Windows you are using?

For Office version go to File- Account and provide the information as shown in the following picture:

For Windows Version go to Settings- System- About:

If possible, you could provide the steps about how to reproduce this problem.

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Could you provide the detail version number of Office 365 and Windows you are using?

For Office version go to File- Account and provide the information as shown in the following picture:

For Windows Version go to Settings- System- About:

If possible, you could provide the steps about how to reproduce this problem.

Any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Office 365 MSO (16.0.11601.20174)
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 17134.706

With any office suite file (Word, excel, PowerPoint) in a FolderRemap location (with offline files enabled), trying to open the file results in: 
    When any non office suite file opens just fine when the laptop does not have a network connection. 

MAJOR UPDATE:
    So i just discovered that i can still open files when the server is not reachable with laptop on the internet via wifi.

However I cannot open office suite files when the laptop has no wifi or ethernet connection. 

I also tested it with an active wifi connection but invalid ip4 configuration, in this state office suite would open offline files. 

So it seems to be if the laptop has no active ethernet or wifi connection, offline office suite files won't open. 

• Edited by xti9 Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Hello, I have the same problem

I explain my situation.

The folders and Documents of each user are redirected to my server through a policy using Folder Redirections

When a user with windows 10 and office 365 (latest version) does not have Internet, for example, is on a plane and try to open an excel file, word or power point receives the same error reported by xty.

Tests done:

Laptop with Windows 7 and Office 2013 works perfect without internet

Laptop with Windows 7 and Office 2007 works perfect without internet

Discards made:

File server, the folders have the necessary permissions and the synchronization works well indeed if you try to open a pdf or notepad they open correctly

In a laptop with windows 7 and office 2013 or 2007 everything works perfectly and there is no error message.

Technical data:

Server 2008 R2 Standard

Windows 10 (Version 10.0.17134)

Office 365 Business 64 bits (Version 1904 Compilation 11601.20178)
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:06 PM
  • UPDATE

Uninstall the version I had office 365 Business 64 Version 1904 (Compilation 11601.20178) and the downgrade to Office 365 Business 64 Version 1808 (Compilation 10730.20334) This solved the error message.

But it is not the final solution, it does not make sense to have office 365 and not be able to use the updates.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:27 PM
  • Yeah, looks like a bug with the latest version, I verified it on another laptop. 
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 4:37 PM
  • Same here, with Office 2016 and 2019...
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Same Problem.

Office 2016 Pro 64 bits version 1904 build 11601.20204

Windows 10 Pro 64 bits Os Build 17763.439 Version 1809

Reinstalling Office did not work.

• Edited by Luis Mava Wednesday, May 15, 2019 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:36 PM
  • Same issue Office 365 16.0.11601.20174
    Windows 10 64Bits Build 1703

I've not tried reinstalling Office, isn't it just streaming the new version anyway?

Monday, May 20, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Same issue with Office Famille et Petite Entreprise 2016 Version 1904 (build 11601.20204)
    Windows 10 Version 1809 (17763.503)
    Monday, May 20, 2019 4:09 PM
  • I have the same issue...

Windows version : 1809 (OS Build 17763.504)

Office version : 1904 (Build 11601.20204 Click-to-Run)

Please help me.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:57 AM
  • Exactly the same for me

- If computer conected to any network like a home wifi or free wifi office 365 fila can be open

- if the computer have no network the office 365 offline file can t be open

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 11:45 AM
  • Having the same issue after O365 updated to version 1904. Please advise if anyone found a solution.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 12:55 PM
  • Yesterday, Microsoft published a released version 1904 Build 11601.20230 but after updating to this version on my PC, i can say : No, this release did not solved my problem.

We should wait next Week for a solution, perhaps...

Monthly updates here : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/monthly-channel-2019

• Edited by Tera-Two Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:31 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2019 9:05 AM
  • Exact same issue here.  Unit is a Microsoft Surface Book (1st gen), Windows 10.1903, Office 365 freshly installed (2019, whatever the latest downloadable install was last week).

Domain-joined notebook.

When online "on-premises", with a direct connection to the server, all files in all Redirected folders (Desktop, Documents) are accessible normally.

When online off-premises (ex. connected to home wifi or a hot-spot), all files in above folders are accessible normally.

When offline completely (ex. NOT connected to any networks wired or wifi) ALL files in Desktop and Documents folders are accessible EXCEPT any Office documents (.doc/docx, .xls/xlsx, etc) which give the above error.  On a "broken" document, copying that file into a temp folder like C:\Temp allows it to be opened perfectly from there.

So, in a nutshell, I'd describe the issue as "Office documents (only) are inaccessible in any redirected folders while the user is disconnected from all networks."

-Dan

• Edited by DTS InfoTech Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:59 PM Clarification
    Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:54 PM
  • Same here, running latest version.

This is a particularly nasty bug, our laptop users travel often and they can't work on their documents when disconnected from the internet.

I hope Microsoft issues a fix ASAP, this is crippling some of our users.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 2:55 PM
  • Yes - having this bug too.

A temporary workaround for users who discover they're affected by this is to copy the affected file from the 'offline' network folder to a local folder on the laptop.

Once in a local folder, it can be opened normally!

Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Looks like 1905 was just released. Has anyone tested that to see if it fixes the issue?
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:46 PM
  • Nope.  I have the same issue.  We are running O365 ProPlus Buld 1904 on Windows 10 Pro and updating to O365 Build 1905 did not correct the issue for me.
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:40 PM
  • Agreed, still have the same issue after 1905
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Same issue here too, on the phone with microsoft and not getting anywhere.

I did stumble upon this link but I am pretty sure we do not have WIP turned on, this issue started about a month ago or so and is affecting both windows 10 pro and ent devices

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3187045/can-t-open-files-offline-when-you-use-offline-files-and-windows-inform

Thursday, May 30, 2019 4:47 PM
  • Just ran into this one as well. 
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 4:49 PM
  • As a heads up - I went back to version 1803 and it is working flawlessly - As such I do not think it is a WIP issue
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:07 PM
  • My users have started noticing this, as well.  

Any Office-related file (doc, docx, xlsx, etc.) that is saved on a redirected folder location (like the user's documents or desktop) and accessed from an Office product (Word, Excel, etc.), and the computer is disconnected from the Internet, will display the error: "Sorry, we can't open [location and file] because the server isn't responding." 

I can use other programs to open the documents, albeit it will show up as garbled, but the file is definitely there. 

The temporary workaround I see is moving or copying the files to another location outside of the redirected folders.  They open just fine there.

Hope Microsoft addresses this major bug.  Glad I'm not alone, and glad it's not something with our network settings.  

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:13 PM
  • Would like to add it's not just Office 365, we are running Office 2016 Professional installations and it's happening with our users as well.

Hope they fix this fast, man it is a brutal bug.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Same issue in our Environment.

Win10 with Desktop, Documents, etc. offline Synced.

Office 2016 clicktorun 1904 (Build 11601.20204)

Problem Comes with the latest Office Update (Monthly Ring)

I created a case @ MS but the supporter drive me crazy....

• Edited by klausar Friday, May 31, 2019 8:38 AM typo
    Friday, May 31, 2019 8:36 AM
  • I've also got a support ticket in with MS - but they seem to be just as confused with support being poor...
    Friday, May 31, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Latest Update from our Microsoft Support ticket:!!!

"Thanks for your last email explaining what is worrying you.  unfortunately,  Microsoft Office from start was designed to be a single client Productivity suite and as the different environment have evolved Microsoft has tried to adapt the situations to the multiple user environments that are now present. But still, Microsoft Office have issues with folder redirections as stated in the document dated from several years ago.  this means that Microsoft cannot guarantee that folder redirection will always work.  I know that this will cause some inconvenience and our Product Group is well aware of this situation,   as for now, this is a design issue that has not been changed.  "

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:21 PM
  • Hi - I've also oped a threat on the Office / Microsoft VoiceNet.

I cannot link to it here, but searching for "Office 1904 - Files on Redirected Folders wont open" on the uservoice site (office365 . uservoice . com ) should find it.

Please feel free to upvote  - Don't seem to be getting any sensible answers from the MS Support line!

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Latest Update from our Microsoft Support ticket:!!!

"Thanks for your last email explaining what is worrying you.  unfortunately,  Microsoft Office from start was designed to be a single client Productivity suite and as the different environment have evolved Microsoft has tried to adapt the situations to the multiple user environments that are now present. But still, Microsoft Office have issues with folder redirections as stated in the document dated from several years ago.  this means that Microsoft cannot guarantee that folder redirection will always work.  I know that this will cause some inconvenience and our Product Group is well aware of this situation,   as for now, this is a design issue that has not been changed.  "

This seriously cannot be their response.

I have been at my current job for 17 years and all those years we have had redirected My Documents folder and offline files for laptop users and it has NEVER been an issue.

Then they issue an update and it breaks the whole thing and their response is they cannot guarantee they will fix it?

Seriously?  Come on.

Friday, May 31, 2019 1:23 PM
  • Oh wow!  I really hope that this isn't the case.  This needs to be addressed!  I'm have no problem with people saving documents to their business OneDrive account, which is my temporary solution here, but documents stored anywhere should be accessible at any time, even if the user is offline. 

This doesn't make any sense.  The offices files are there.  They're not synced incorrectly or corrupted.  Other programs can access it.  Word, Exel, etc.,cannot.  This should be fixed!

That being said, if Microsoft does not fix this, or address it soon, does anybody have recommendations on how to improve the Windows' offline mode for folder redirection?  Has anybody found a workaround that doesn't involve requiring the user to always be online or moving the files out of a redirected folder?

• Edited by TroyB.076 Friday, May 31, 2019 1:50 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 1:49 PM
  • also have the same issue with 1 user(and he's the director of the company) . PC is on windows 10 pro with office home and business 2016. Only office apps cannot be opened offline. If you copy the file to other location it works fine. Hope there's a resolution soon...
    Monday, June 3, 2019 12:49 PM
  • I have multiple users with Surface Pro 4s experiencing this with Office365 Business Premium. It's very frustrating that I have to explain to my COO that Microsoft broke something and doesn't consider it an issue.
    Monday, June 3, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Just updated to Office 2016 Professional 16.0.11629.20196, issue not fixed yet.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Version 1905 (Build 11629.20214)

This was released yesterday. Has anyone tried it?

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 6:08 PM
  • Version 1905 (Build 11629.20214)

This was released yesterday. Has anyone tried it?

Sorry, I put the wrong version in my post above.  I have updated a user's laptop to 16.0.11629.20214 and the problem is not fixed.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 8:41 PM
  • More so when you factor in ITAR or NIST compliance and other things that well you can not upload certain things into places like OneDrive. Completely unacceptable.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 1:16 PM
  • Our company is struggling with this as well. We are also ITAR and must follow the NIST 800-171 controls to protect CUI data. We need to keep our files within our control. We also can't go back to an old version of Office and risk unpatched security flaws for this same reason. We pay a lot of money every month to Microsoft and can't access our files offline. Fix this MS.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2019 5:08 PM
  • I still cannot believe there has been no real response from Microsoft yet on this very real issue with the latest build of Office 365 / 2016 !?

Thursday, June 6, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Another one with the same issue.
    For god's sake Microsoft, please issue a fix!

Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:49 AM
  • I've noticed it's similar to this KB article but I know we don't have WIP (Windows Information Protectoin) being used.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3187045/can-t-open-files-offline-when-you-use-offline-files-and-windows-inform

So I have a feeling that there is a cross between the Office 365 Apps and Microsoft Intune and Local Operating Systems. I tried looking into the Registry to see if there was anything that was popping out stating that it was blocked due to WIP but couldn't see it.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 5:22 PM
  • exactly the same issue here as well, talked to Microsoft support who were no help at all

decided to contact the media as I think Microsoft's response on the problem is lame.

Friday, June 7, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Have just seen this on the Register's Website !  Good Job
    Friday, June 7, 2019 3:57 PM
  • Sample of my call to Microsoft about the issue:

Microsoft: When does the access not work?

Me: When the user is offline and has no internet.

Microsoft: Can you force files to work Online mode and see if that helps?

Me: <stabs pencil in eye>

Doesn't seem promising based on my call with them. Critical thinking skills are weak with the Microsoft.

Friday, June 7, 2019 9:22 PM
  • Just got off the phone with MS, they switched my tech to another tech who obviously did not read the tickets, look at the attachments or understand the issue.

Started from scratch, they still could not comprehend it.. Put me on hold for ages saying other people are having an issue like yours but not like yours, theirs are different (No, no I am pretty sure that all of you are having my exact same bloody issue!)

His recommendation was to uninstall office across the board, reinstall an older version and turn off updates until they fixed it but offered no ETA or if they were actually working on this.

Monday, June 10, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Same here. 
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Looks like Microsoft pushed out an Office update overnight, 16.0.11629.20246.

Anyone able to test it yet?

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:53 PM
  • I tested it, and i still have the same issues...
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:56 PM
  • Ugh, ok thanks.

This is seriously aggravating.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:13 PM
  • We're having the same issue. 

Office Version 1905 Build 11629.20246 Click-to-Run

Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 16299.1146

It would be nice if Microsoft could at least acknowledge the problem...

Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:07 AM
  • Has anyone tried a volume license installation? I tested this on one PC and it seems to work. Looks like the issue may be related to click to run installations which is the version used by Office 365. The volume license installation (windows installer) of office 2016 std seems to work.
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:40 PM
  • I am not using volume licensing but standalone installations where the issue exists for us.

• Proposed as answer by CGI_Cableguy Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by CGI_Cableguy Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:51 AM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 1:03 PM
  • I have a potential Work Around....

System I have is an Dell with Windows 7 Pro and Office365 Business Premium 2019.  Using UNC Folder Redirect which displays this error when Offline!

Map a network Drive as Z: and ensure user data is synced for offline use.  Data is available offline!

Give that a bash and see if it works.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi folks,

i found it .

This problems exists in there versions ( 1905 and 1904)

Solution

downgrade office version (1808)

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:14 PM
  • Do you work for Microsoft? This is not a solution but it is the kind of unhelpful answer one would hear with a call to MS tech support.
    • Edited by C-Irvine Tuesday, June 18, 2019 4:06 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 3:59 PM
  • We found one strange thing...

If you are using Office 365 E3 it works. If you are using Office 365 Business Premium or worst, it doesn't work.

Tested at least with 3 laptops and different users...

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 3:15 PM
  • It's been over a month now, come on Microsoft FIX THIS
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Last answer from Microsoft Spain:

Use Version 1903, it works. And yes, it works. But it is not the answer I expected from the company.

They said: Maybe next Version will be fixed, or maybe not... We don't know. You should test it. Me? :(

I think it would be easier if Microsoft send us an email with the message: It will be fixed in 1906, or 1907... but you should test it... what a kind of company are you, Microsoft?

I am dissapointed...

Thursday, June 20, 2019 8:55 AM
  • DavidGME is correct. The only solution for now is to revert to Version 1903. 

To do this, run the following from an elevated command prompt:
    cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\
    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.11425.20244

Office will act like it is installing updates, and once it is finished you will be back on 1903.  After this is done, make sure to disable automatic updates for Office, either locally on the system, or by using Group Policy. Otherwise you will be back in the same situation again.

• Proposed as answer by Volvstang Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:21 PM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:20 PM
  • The solution that worked for me was to revert to a previous office version as described in this document...

"How to revert to an earlier version of Office 2016 Click-to-Run"  (I cannot post links until my account is verified)

On the Click-to-Run site you'll find the revision number "April 9, 2019 Version 1903 (Build 11425.20204)".  That is the revision # you need to paste into the XML file described in the document.

I then disabled Office updates for now, until perhaps a future release is available that does not break Offline File Cache.

Friday, June 21, 2019 4:11 PM
  • Is there any chance we can apply this from GPO?

That's impossible to do this for large amount of computers.

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:47 AM
  • Update is out, anyone have a chance to test it yet?

Version 1906 (Build 11727.20210 Click-to-Run)

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:55 PM
  • We can confirm the "issue" still exists in 1906.

Roll back to 1903 corrects the "issue" 

We will hold at 1903 until a Fix is confirmed.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:19 PM
  • While not a fix, a work around I've found elsewhere is to install a Microsoft loopback adapter which seems to trick it into thinking it's online. Hope this helps!

Grab a quick how to install from here for anyone not deploying using a powershell script:

Ref: https://nil.uniza.sk/how-install-microsoft-loopback-adapter-windows-10/

To install the microsoft loopback adapter on win 10 you must:

1. right click on window start menu icon and select Device manager. Device manager window will immediately open (or you may use any other way how to open device manager window)
    2. click on Action, and select Add legacy hardware
    3. click Next on welcome screen
    4. choose "Install the hardware that i manually select from a list" and click on Next
    5. scroll down and select Network adapters from offered common hardware types and click on Next
    6. select Microsoft as the manufacturer, and then select Microsoft KM-TEST Loopback adapter card model, click on Next
    7. click on Next
    8. click on Finish

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Looks like another update is out:

Version 1906 (Build 11727.20230 Click-to-Run)

Monday, July 1, 2019 1:23 PM
  • I installed this update and the issue seems to have resolved. Has anyone else tried this update?

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:45 AM
  • I installed this update and the issue seems to have resolved. Has anyone else tried this update?

I have 11727.20230 installed and I'm able to open Excel documents, offline in a redirected folder location, without issue.  I believe they finally addressed the issue.  
    • Proposed as answer by TroyB.076 Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TroyB.076 Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:34 PM
  • Have installed - Build 11727.20230 and it works ok for me now.

http://andyparkes.co.uk/blog

• Proposed as answer by TroyB.076 Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 2, 2019 4:10 PM