multiple NIC's on 1 computer problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I run a program that requires it to access a private network on my computer. However, I also need this same computer to access the internet. Is it possible to install another network interface card on the computer and configure my browser to just use that connection and my other program to use the connection for the private network. I know that technically this is not safe because you are potentially opening up the private network to outside access but I do not care about that
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:48 PM

All replies

• This particular forum was created to answer questions or share information regarding the installation of Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP.  If you have a question not specifically related to SP3, please post your inquiry in the appropriate  Windows XP Answers Forum.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Carey Frisch
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Of course.simply install the new network card,CONFIGURE TCP/IP SETTINGS APPROPRIATELY, and you're good to go.

If you have to access a public address(say,a computer on the internet,tcp/ip&DNS will automatically route through the NIC configured for that,same with accessing private addresses.

As for security,you can remain secure.simply not use any form of ICS(Internet  connection sharing), use a good Antivirus(configure the firewall appropriately), and you'r Ok.

Please dont hesitate to post,if you run into any issues.Goodluck

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, October 25, 2010 7:56 PM