Progamatically editing global distro list from Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a child organization to a much larger parent organization. For better or worse we have been forced on to a new exchange infrastructure which is hosted on a seperate domain, which we dont have access to.  Account, mailbox and DL creation is handled by our parent; however, we are expected to manage DL membership with out access to either the Exchange server or LDAP connectivity to the hosting domain.

Basically we've been made owners of the DLs and its expected we will manage the lists via the address book in Outlook.  We've got a good 70 to 80 DLs and each DL can have anywhere between 5-several hundred members. The question is: Is there a way to edit/add members to global DLs via some form of scripting (vbscript, powershell) on the client?

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to solve this issue better, I need to know the version of your Exchange server.

In Exchange 2003/2007, there is no way to make end-user manage distribution group membership. And it is by design. So we can only edit /add members to global DLs via ESM/EMC/EMS and you need to have exchange access.

In Exchange 2010, since the RBAC feature is introduced, we need to do some configuration to grand the permission for a user to manage the DLs, which you can refer to the article ‘How to Manage Groups that I already own in Exchange 2010?’.

If you encounter any difficulties in the above steps, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Monday, October 31, 2011 1:20 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:48 AM

All replies

• You can always install the Exchange Management Shell on the client computer and do it from there. Run the setup from Exchange DVD/ISO.
    Where Technology Meets Talent
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:12 PM
  • This might have some merit I will give it a shot. We don't have any administrative access to the exch domain. We really only have user level access through outlook.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

In order to solve this issue better, I need to know the version of your Exchange server.

In Exchange 2003/2007, there is no way to make end-user manage distribution group membership. And it is by design. So we can only edit /add members to global DLs via ESM/EMC/EMS and you need to have exchange access.

In Exchange 2010, since the RBAC feature is introduced, we need to do some configuration to grand the permission for a user to manage the DLs, which you can refer to the article ‘How to Manage Groups that I already own in Exchange 2010?’.

If you encounter any difficulties in the above steps, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Monday, October 31, 2011 1:20 AM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:48 AM