Remote desktop connection to another domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have two domains trusted together, i have sccm 2012 sp1 on one site, sccm client installed on all clients in two domain but the problem here that i can connect on any client in my site normally with right click on client and connect, but when i try to connect on clients in another site connection failed, i must type the ip address of machine to connect successfully, i thinks that issue related to DNS ! but what can i do if so ?

FYI, i'm domain admin in two sites and my account is member of domain admins in two domains.

Ahmed Sherif

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:42 PM

Answers

• Are you talking about "Remote Desktop" (as the title says) or "Remote Control"? They are two very different things.

Yes, name resolution can also cause issues for both. That is completely outside the scope of ConfigMgr though. You need to be able resolve the name of the remote system just like you do for every network service. Without knowing any details about your network or name resolution infrastructure, there's nothing anyone here can really say.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, June 30, 2014 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:54 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about "Remote Desktop" (as the title says) or "Remote Control"? They are two very different things.

Yes, name resolution can also cause issues for both. That is completely outside the scope of ConfigMgr though. You need to be able resolve the name of the remote system just like you do for every network service. Without knowing any details about your network or name resolution infrastructure, there's nothing anyone here can really say.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

• Marked as answer by Joyce L Monday, June 30, 2014 8:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Yes i'm talking about remote control, but what can i do to configure name resolution infrastructure to be able to managed remotely ?

Ahmed Sherif

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:25 AM
  • As Jason says this is a DNS question, not ConfigMgr. Try to ping a device in Domain 2 using the FQDN. Does it resolve to an IP address? You need to work on your DNS infrastructure until it does.

There are many ways to achieve this - it depends on your environment. "Conditional Forwarders" are probably the easiest to implement.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:32 AM
  • Another option is to create a stub zone in your DNS for resolution of the remote domain

Cheers

Paul | sccmentor.wordpress.com

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:48 AM