none
Concern about pruning tape catalog RRS feed

• Question

• I need to prune the tape catalog because the DPMDB keeps growing.

If I prune the tape catalog to 1 month, will I get the same information in the Recovery pane in DPM? I like to know what dates I have tape backups for and what the barcode labels are.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, if you have the catalog pruned before the recovery points expire they will still show up in the calendar but you will not be able to drill down and look at files and folders until the tape is re-cataloged.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 10, 2015 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

SCDPM will only prune Tape sets they are expired, but i dont think that your Tape Data is the cause of your big SQL DB.

How big is your SCDPM DB, are you protecting SharePoint?

Michael Seidl

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, July 10, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, if you have the catalog pruned before the recovery points expire they will still show up in the calendar but you will not be able to drill down and look at files and folders until the tape is re-cataloged.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 10, 2015 9:12 PM
  • I'm protecting Sharepoint. On the DPM server with the DB size issue, I am protecting 4 Sharepoint farms. The database is 14.07GB. 
    Monday, July 20, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

Please review this BLOG and see if the Tbl_RM_SharePointRecoverableObject table is a large contributing factor.

Monday, July 20, 2015 6:29 PM