Agent patch level cu5 vs cu2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a two part question.

1- Can an agent report to two different management groups at the same time? One scom 2007 r2 enviroment is at cu2 & the other is at cu5 and are in different domains.

2- Is there any issues with the agent being at cu5 and reporting to the scom enviroment at patch level cu2.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:21 PM

Answers

• Hi, it is backwards compatible and the agent can talk to multiple management groups (also at different cu levels). This is called multi-homing the scom agent. When the agent gets upgraded to a higher CU level by one of the two mgmt groups the agent will be updated completely. It is one executable. It just runs two sets of workflows from the two management groups you have talking to it. I have not seen issues with higher scom cu agents talking to lower cu mgmt groups in multi-homing.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    • Marked as answer by nostar38 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:21 AM

All replies

• Hi, it is backwards compatible and the agent can talk to multiple management groups (also at different cu levels). This is called multi-homing the scom agent. When the agent gets upgraded to a higher CU level by one of the two mgmt groups the agent will be updated completely. It is one executable. It just runs two sets of workflows from the two management groups you have talking to it. I have not seen issues with higher scom cu agents talking to lower cu mgmt groups in multi-homing.
    Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My BICTT Blog) - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Recipient
    • Marked as answer by nostar38 Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 6:21 AM
  • You can refer : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc180900.aspx

or http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2009/07/multi-homed-agents-and-different-opsmgr.html

Hope this helps...

Regards, Ravi
    • Proposed as answer by Ravi_Raj Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:07 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:24 AM