none
DPM Error 270 - RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM Version 4.2.1473.0 on a Windows 2012R2 Server & the client server is running Windows 2008 R2. When trying to install & attach the DPM agent on a client server; I get the following error:

Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 270

The agent operation failed on SERVER NAME because DPM could not communicate with the DPM protection agent. The computer may be protected by another DPM server, or the protection agent may have been uninstalled on the protected computer.

If SERVER NAME is a workgroup server, the password for the DPM user account could have been changed or may have expired.

Recommended action: Check the following to troubleshoot this issue: 

1) If the agent is not installed on SERVER NAME, run DpmAgentInstaller.exe with this DPM computer as a parameter. For details, see the DPM Deployment Guide.

2) To attach the computer correctly to this DPM server, run the SetDpmServer tool on the protected computer.

3) If the computer is protected by another DPM server, or if the protection agent has been uninstalled, remove the protected data sources on this computer from active protection. Then, remove the entry of this computer from the Agents tab in the Management task area.

4) If SERVER NAME is a workgroup server, run SetDpmServer with the -UpdatePassword flag on the protected computer and Update-NonDomainServerInfo.ps1 on the DPM server to update the password.

5) If the DPM server and the protected computer are not in the same domain, ensure that there is a two-way trust setup between the two domains.

If the computer is protected by another DPM server, or if the protection agent has been uninstalled, you can remove the record of the computer from this DPM server.

Remove the record of the computer from this DPM server.

I have done the following steps above & it did not correct the issue. I have tried removing the agent & reinstalling using the command line & by a Powershell script located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\DPM\DPM\bin

I suspect DPM is having this issue because it is reporting that the client server is already being backed up by another DPM server which it is not. I have tried to make sure that there are not any DPM entries in the DPM SQL instance nor in the registry on the client server. Has anyone else experienced this issue & have a solution?

Thursday, September 15, 2016 4:27 PM