Word 2013 (Windows 7 64-bit) - Embed PDF as Icon Error RRS feed

• Question

• We have a process where we embed PDFs into a table in a Word document as an icon.

This worked for us in Word 2010, but as soon as we upgraded to Word 2013 we started getting an error message.

"The program used to create this object is Package.  That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding.  To edit this object, install Package or ensure that any dialog boxes in Package are closed."

Nothing has changed except uninstalling Office 2010 and installing Office 2013.  Acrobat is still there(fully updated XI pro). Acrobat is not open when the attempt to embed is made.

I've tried altering every option I could find that might make this process work, but nothing does the trick.  All software is fully updated as far as I can tell.   It feels like Office 2013 is not keen on the idea of working with PDFs.  The Acrobat Add-In seems to only promote converting word docs to PDFs, and I found little to no settings referring to PDF embedding or any embedding for that matter.

Does Word 2013 disallow this feature unless you're using Windows 8 and the Windows Reader app?  

Any advice would be fantastic.  Thanks.

• Edited by jnes Friday, September 13, 2013 6:18 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to insert some PDF files from  Insert tab --> Object --> Create New --> Adobe Acrobat Document

In addition, make sure Adobe Reader is the default application to open the PDF files.

If the issue persists, please try repair or reinstall the latest version of Adobe reader and check this again.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Hi Karen, 

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried these things and made sure Acrobat was the default program.  But still no luck.

FYI, I am using Acrobat Pro rather than reader.  I tried Reader originally, and it did not seem to be able to embed PDFs.  

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Hi, 

We recently faced to this issue and from what I researched about this issue, I realized that, this issue should not be related to Adobe reader application and this should be Microsoft Office 2013 issue.

I have Office 2007 on my computer and I have no issue in terms of adding PDF documents into Microsoft word file, but, when I try add same PDF file into same word file. we get the error and not able to proceed with that.

Please let me know if anyone has any solution for this.

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 23, 2014 7:29 PM