General Question about Applying HotFix Rollup For Forefront Protection for Exch 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello- I'm new to Exchange. We are running Forefront version 11.0.677.0 which I've been told I should apply HotFix Rollup 4 in hopes it may take care of an issue we are having.

Does the HotFix Rollup 4 include the fixes from HotFix Rollup 1, 2, 3? I think it does, but an outside engineer who sometimes helps us with Exchange says he recommends installing all of them Hotfix 1, 2, 3, 4.

I'd like to hear anyone elses opinion on this?

Besides the obvious (having a backup, etc.) is there anything else beyond simply clicking on the hotpatch executable that I need to be aware of? My assumption is I should also stop the Microsoft Forefront services before I run the hotfix? Do I need to stop any Exchange services...or anything else?

Thank you.

Lori Binner

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Lori,

This is as Nick states. The roll up is cummulative and includes all fixes for 1, 2 & 3. You only need to install RU4.

With regards to stopping services, this is handled automatically by the rollup installer, but i would recommend you plan for a possible loss of service while the rollup is being installed. Whether services need to be stopped or not, depends on the role of the server and can also depend on the current state of processes at time of install. To be safe, I always recommend customers to plan for services to be stopped (and possibly a restart could be required).

p.s. this is general advice and applies to all MS hotfixes/service packs.

I hope this helps,

Alex

Alex

• Marked as answer by LAB88 Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:11 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for the post.

“Does the HotFix Rollup 4 include the fixes from HotFix Rollup 1, 2, 3?” - Yes, all the rollups are cumulative.

is there anything else beyond simply clicking on the hotpatch executable that I need to be aware of?” – please perform the following steps to install rollup:

How to install the hotfix rollup

To install the hotfix rollup, follow these steps:

• Run the installer. To do this, double-click the hotfix rollup executable file.
        Note When the installer is running, the Forefront services are stopped.
      • After the installation is complete, and the Forefront services are restarted, make sure that Forefront is working correctly.
        Notes
        • The Forefront services are restarted automatically during the installation.
        • Forefront service packs or hotfix rollups can be installed by using the FFSMC Deployment job. For more information, see "Deployment Jobs" in the Forefront Server Security Management Console User's Guide. In this case, the installer runs in silent mode, and user input is not required. The rest of the process remains the same as when you double-click the executable file to run the installer .

Regards,

Nick Gu - MSFT

• Proposed as answer by Alex Gray - Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:20 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hi Lori,

This is as Nick states. The roll up is cummulative and includes all fixes for 1, 2 & 3. You only need to install RU4.

With regards to stopping services, this is handled automatically by the rollup installer, but i would recommend you plan for a possible loss of service while the rollup is being installed. Whether services need to be stopped or not, depends on the role of the server and can also depend on the current state of processes at time of install. To be safe, I always recommend customers to plan for services to be stopped (and possibly a restart could be required).

p.s. this is general advice and applies to all MS hotfixes/service packs.

I hope this helps,

Alex

Alex

• Marked as answer by LAB88 Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:11 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:25 PM