none
Multiple VSS errors on multiple servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We manage multiple servers SBS, 2012, 2008 etc.. 

I come across multiple VSS errors (up to 17 on one server) that happen daily, I check the backup and there are no errors and all files backup successfully but i am wondering how i can prevent these VSS errors completely.

Some of the backups are using BackupExec, some BackupAssist etc..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 8:55 AM

Answers

• Sorry i may not have explained myself properly...

The servers only run one backup solution - we support 80+ servers all on different networks.

This issue is resolved as the VSS errors where actually cause by disk space running low on the C: drive, so when the backup is running its unable to expand the volume correctly thus, the VSS errors appear. 

Thanks for the help anyway and apologies for the delay.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi:

Can you please give examples of the most frequent Event ID and Source?

Larry Struckmeyer[MVP] If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:14 AM
  • It isnt recommended to use two backup solutions since they will both want to use the same drivers, processes, writers etc...  

If is necessary to have both then you can stop the services of the other backup software while the other is running.  Also defining Backup Exec to use the Microsoft system provider might help.  Go to the "Advanced Open File Option" section in the backup job properties for the Backup job to use the Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider explicitly.

Lenora Moss Technical Support Engineer, SMB Partner Support, Symantec Corporation www.symantec.com

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Sorry i may not have explained myself properly...

The servers only run one backup solution - we support 80+ servers all on different networks.

This issue is resolved as the VSS errors where actually cause by disk space running low on the C: drive, so when the backup is running its unable to expand the volume correctly thus, the VSS errors appear. 

Thanks for the help anyway and apologies for the delay.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014 2:15 PM