none
Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Service keeps crashing

Question

• So, I recently installed Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 on my server. I have the OS installed on a 160 GB HDD, and the server data on a separate 1TB physical HDD. I moved all of the Server Folders individually to the second HDD using the Dashboard tool. All seemed to be working fine; I even granted permissions to the various folders using the Dashboard's Storage page. However, the server is now reporting that the Storage Service isn't running, and when I try to start it manually it just stops again after a few seconds with the following error, according to the Event Viewer:

The Windows Server Essentials Storage Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Here's the error dump:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> 
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7031</EventID> 
      <Version>0</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>0</Task> 
      <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-06-23T04:03:47.218289900Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>9676</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="524" ThreadID="7140" /> 
      <Channel>System</Channel> 
      <Computer>Server.EDWARDS.local</Computer> 
      <Security /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Essentials Storage Service</Data> 
      <Data Name="param2">2</Data> 
      <Data Name="param3">60000</Data> 
      <Data Name="param4">1</Data> 
      <Data Name="param5">Restart the service</Data> 
      <Binary>570073006500530074006F0072006100670065005300760063000000</Binary> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>
    The storage is readable, however, I cannot administer it via the Dashboard. I have tried using sfc /scannow

, but it didn't find anything relevant. What are my next steps? Thanks!

- Greg

Monday, June 23, 2014 4:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

I looked at your log. Could you please try:

Find whether there is a registry key under SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows Server\\StorageService named "e73a4639-baa2-4e79-9bd4-f74524a86d2c". If exists, delete the key. Then start Essentials storage service.

Thanks,

Pan

• Marked as answer by gregsedwards Wednesday, July 09, 2014 2:08 AM
    Monday, July 07, 2014 9:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

Based on your description, I understand that Windows Server Essentials Storage Service stopped suddenly. Please refer to the following operations and troubleshoot. Then check if find some more clues and help us to solve this issue.

1. Open Services panel, navigate to Windows Server Essentials Storage Service. Then open the Properties of this service and select General tab. Please check how set Startup type of this service. Did set as Automatic?

2. Please click Log On tab and check if log on as Local System account.

3. On Recovery tab, please refer to the following article to change recovery actions.

Event ID 7031: Service Crash

4. On Dependencies tab, we can find this service depends on system components as below picture shows. Please check if there were some troubles in these system components.

5. Meanwhile, please start BPA Scan and check if find something which be related to this issue.

6. In addition, please follow the path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs. Then check storageservice log file and check if find some more clues. (Please Note: the folder is hidden. Please open Control Panel, select Folder Options, select View tab and check ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’. Then please check.)

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Justin, thanks for your assistance. I followed your steps and here are my comments:

1. The WSE Storage Service's startup was set to Automatic.
    2. It's logging in with a local system account.
    3. Recovery is set to 2 automatic restart attempts on failure.
    4. I checked the services upon which it is dependent, and they're all running with no problems.
    5. I completed a BPA scan, and it didn't find anything relevant to my Storage Service issue.
    6. I reviewed the logs, and I'm not sure what to look for in there. There was a general storageservice log and another set with dates. I have uploaded the full log and the one with today's date (zipped) to my OneDrive here, in case you could have a look at them and let me know.

I did notice the logs make a lot of references to folders being "missing," which is odd because the folders are there when I look for them in Explorer.

Is there any way to just reinitialize the storage service/server shares and go through the setup again without rebuilding the whole server? Maybe that would be the easiest way to get myself running smoothly again. Thanks for your suggestions!

- Greg

Friday, July 04, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Hi Greg,

I looked at your log. Could you please try:

Find whether there is a registry key under SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows Server\\StorageService named "e73a4639-baa2-4e79-9bd4-f74524a86d2c". If exists, delete the key. Then start Essentials storage service.

Thanks,

Pan

• Marked as answer by gregsedwards Wednesday, July 09, 2014 2:08 AM
    Monday, July 07, 2014 9:39 AM
  • Pan, many thanks for your assistance. I did find and delete the suggested registry key, which seemed to be tied to a corrupted shared folder (TV). When I restarted the Essentials Storage Service, it crashed again, but your suggestion led me to look at the related StorageService\Folders key, which contained mappings for each shared folder, including the TV folder with the corresponding GUID. I manually deleted the shared folder subkey as well, and restarted the service, and now it's working perfectly. I was able to re-create the shared folder for TV using the Server Dashboard.

Thanks for your excellent suggestions and for helping me learn about this service!

- Greg

• Proposed as answer by [-Erik-] Sunday, April 15, 2018 4:34 PM
    Wednesday, July 09, 2014 2:08 AM
  • the key can be named other things but will resemble the same name layout.
    Saturday, August 30, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Greg, Pan,

I just had the same issue you are describing, and the Folders key indeed showed me the folder that turned against me...

In the end it was an NTFS-Permissions issue, resetting the folder did the trick!

Thanks @ both!

Monday, March 30, 2015 10:04 AM
  • Similar / same for me; I had a Guid named Key under SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows Server\\StorageService. I deleted that key and the service started working. 

Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by DetoxIT Monday, June 04, 2018 9:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DetoxIT Monday, June 04, 2018 9:55 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:52 AM
  •  This was after 2 weeks with Microsoft

The steps involved to fix the issue was that we had to merge the following registry keys from working machine.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{CD33BC55-E769-413e-9E45-F2DF0C45E967}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{C2DDC667-7DCC-4382-A7B6-B5CEE1989E0B}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D6FE6D43-7DC8-4f74-A730-F33B8EDC8D46}

Monday, June 04, 2018 9:55 PM