none
DRIVE MAPPING Same drive showing two different letters (GPO)

Question

• hello,

I have created a policy of mapped drive through GPO in windows server 2012R2, I choose letter Z for my drive and drive is working good. but later for some reasons I had to changer the drive letter and I choose S, I have windows 7 pro on client machines. when I run the command gpupdate or restart the computer it is showing both drives Z and S. I set action to "update" in mapped drive policy. I don't want to go on all pc to disconnect the Z drive,  is there any solution that I can disconnect the drive Z through server and only S drive will be remain on all client machines.

Thanks,

Friday, October 21, 2016 6:51 AM

Answers

• > to "update" in mapped drive policy. I don't want to go on all pc to
    > disconnect the Z drive,  is there any solution that I can disconnect the
    > drive Z through server and only S drive will be remain on all client
    > machines.

Create a mapping with action "delete" for the Z drive :-)

Friday, October 21, 2016 9:51 AM
  • Is it occurring for only windows 7 or other windows versions?

Did you try update with Hide/Show this drive- select Show this drive?

One more thing if your purpose is only for  map single drive with letter S you should use replace option.

Replace

Delete and recreate mapped drives for users. The net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new drive mapping.

please update the same so that i could assist you better.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia
    Please verify the answer if it helps you.

Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:33 AM
  • I have only windows 7 pro installed on all client machines, I didn't try hide this drive option. I had try the replace action but after gpupdate on client machine showing two drives like one is letter Z previous letter and new one S letter current letter but the drive is same. I just want to disappear or replace Z drive with S.
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:56 AM
  • You can disconnect z drive with create new policy with .bat file at startup.

please use the the below command to disconnect drive in your .bat file.

net use z: /d

please let me know if any further assistance required.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by manjeet singh13 Friday, October 28, 2016 3:26 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 7:06 AM
  • pls update the same.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:05 AM
  • Hi,
    I would agree with Martin that you could configure delete action to remove Z letter and then remap the drive as S letter.
    Alternatively, you could check on the "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" under the common tab when you configure the GPP item and then delete the Drive Maps GPP item. Then, please reboot client for twice or more, the Z drive will be disappeared, next you have to create a new Drive Maps GPP with S letter.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:08 AM

All replies

• > to "update" in mapped drive policy. I don't want to go on all pc to
    > disconnect the Z drive,  is there any solution that I can disconnect the
    > drive Z through server and only S drive will be remain on all client
    > machines.

Create a mapping with action "delete" for the Z drive :-)

Friday, October 21, 2016 9:51 AM
  • thanks for reply,

my question was wrong. actually I want replace the Z letter with S and I used the action update but after gpupdate it is showing both drives Z and S. I also tried with replace action and get same result. I just want to replace Z letter to S.

:)
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Is it occurring for only windows 7 or other windows versions?

Did you try update with Hide/Show this drive- select Show this drive?

One more thing if your purpose is only for  map single drive with letter S you should use replace option.

Replace

Delete and recreate mapped drives for users. The net result of the Replace action is to overwrite all existing settings associated with the mapped drive. If the drive mapping does not exist, then the Replace action creates a new drive mapping.

please update the same so that i could assist you better.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia

Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:33 AM
  • I have only windows 7 pro installed on all client machines, I didn't try hide this drive option. I had try the replace action but after gpupdate on client machine showing two drives like one is letter Z previous letter and new one S letter current letter but the drive is same. I just want to disappear or replace Z drive with S.
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:56 AM
  • You can disconnect z drive with create new policy with .bat file at startup.

please use the the below command to disconnect drive in your .bat file.

net use z: /d

please let me know if any further assistance required.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by manjeet singh13 Friday, October 28, 2016 3:26 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2016 7:06 AM
  • pls update the same.

Regards,
    Sandeep Poonia

Monday, October 24, 2016 4:05 AM
  • Hi,
    I would agree with Martin that you could configure delete action to remove Z letter and then remap the drive as S letter.
    Alternatively, you could check on the "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" under the common tab when you configure the GPP item and then delete the Drive Maps GPP item. Then, please reboot client for twice or more, the Z drive will be disappeared, next you have to create a new Drive Maps GPP with S letter.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:46 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:08 AM
  • hello,

Thanks for everyone for helping me, that helps me a lots. Much appreciated and sorry for late update was busy in work thats why cant reply.

thanks a lot:)

Friday, October 28, 2016 3:26 PM