none
So, it seems there really is a bug with the Upgrade task sequence not finishing up. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I wanted to get some consensus around this. I have been working on our Windows 10 Upgrade task sequence, and it seems the only way for the task sequence to successfully complete is for an administrative user to login to the Windows 10 machine after it has been upgraded.

We are utilizing MDT monitoring (and have extended it quite a bit, actually) so we know when the deployment has properly finished. All of the steps listed in the task sequence editor are executed properly, but the deployment does not send the status message 41015 (which means a successful deployment) until a user with admin privileges logs in. Up until that point, the deployment is still in progress. This also means that you never see the summary screen until an admin user logs in.

This presents a problem for our desired upgrade strategy, which would be to silently upgrade batches of machines at night or on the weekends, since they will not be "finished" until an admin logs in to the machine.

Here is a shot from our monitoring that illustrate the issue:

So, is anyone else seeing this? How are we supposed to handle this? They way MS is pushing us to do Upgrades, I think this would be a significant issue?

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:44 PM

All replies

• Also, even after the deployment is finished, I have these files still hanging around:

The rest of my logs are successfully copied up to the SLShare folder, but these remain. This does not happen in our bare metal Windows 7 deployments.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Wow, that looks like awesome logging you have there! Maybe you could do a writeup of how you extended it sometime? Anyway, I think your question is answered here by Michael Niehaus... https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3a626ab1-3f9b-45dc-9868-15204a470411/wizard-error-you-must-be-running-with-administrator-rights-the-deployment-cannot-proceed-after?forum=mdt

:)

Where ever you go, there you are.

• Edited by GovG33k Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:51 PM added link
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:49 PM
  • Wanted to bump this and ask if anyone has a way of getting the upgrade task sequence to properly finish yet.
    Monday, September 28, 2015 9:43 PM