On Vista 64, account w/ admin role/privs not admin RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my 64 bit Vista system has been hanging and requiring reboots and file repairs. I tried to take several of the steps I found to correct the problems but whenever I try to "run as administrator" for any application, I get "<program> is not a valid Win32 application."

I would like to fix this without re-installing everything if at all possible.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

First I want to know whether the same issue occurs while opening the exe file via double-clicking.

Turn off UAC

1) Confirm that you logged the Vista computer with the Administrator account.

2) Click the Windows Pearl (Start Button) in the lower-left corner of the screen-> Control Panel.

3) Select Classic View on the left and double-click the User Accounts icon.

4) Click Turn User Account Control on or off option.

5) Uncheck the User User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer and click OK.

6) If prompted, choose restart, otherwise restart from the Start Menu.

Create a New Windows Account

1) Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2) Click Manage another account If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3) Click Create a new account.

4) Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type (Administrator), and then click Create Account.

Create a user account

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/68a1c4fd-b3f6-4cb9-93a1-8a6023836e531033.mspx#E1D

Run file scan

1) Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2) In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3) After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:36 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

First I want to know whether the same issue occurs while opening the exe file via double-clicking.

Turn off UAC

1) Confirm that you logged the Vista computer with the Administrator account.

2) Click the Windows Pearl (Start Button) in the lower-left corner of the screen-> Control Panel.

3) Select Classic View on the left and double-click the User Accounts icon.

4) Click Turn User Account Control on or off option.

5) Uncheck the User User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer and click OK.

6) If prompted, choose restart, otherwise restart from the Start Menu.

Create a New Windows Account

1) Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety, and then clicking User Accounts.

2) Click Manage another account If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3) Click Create a new account.

4) Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type (Administrator), and then click Create Account.

Create a user account

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/68a1c4fd-b3f6-4cb9-93a1-8a6023836e531033.mspx#E1D

Run file scan

1) Click Start button, copy and paste "cmd" (without the quotation marks); in the above Programs list, right-click the cmd icon and select Run as administrator.

2) In the Command window, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

NOTE: You may be prompted for your Windows vista CD-ROM. Insert the CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then click Retry.

3) After the scan has completed, remove the Windows Vista CD-ROM from the disc drive and then restart your computer.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Thursday, June 25, 2009 10:36 AM
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed help.  I tried all of the steps listed but none worked.  When I try to access any of the options in User Accounts that have the windows shield icon, nothing happens, not even an error or message stating it must be run as an administrator.

When I try to right-click to run cmd, I get the message "cmd.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

Andy

Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:05 PM