none
DPM 2010 testing and still running into strange issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have installed DPM2010 in t test enviroment and have deployed the agent to 2 remote machines. 1 is backing up some small sql databases as  a test and one is backing up some files as a test.

the remote agents appear to leave the 2 remote machines unresponsive for the most part. I can ping them yet i cant rdp (i get a black screen). The consoles are even stuck. I cant view the services remotely or the event logs.

they dont respond to remote shutdown / reboot commands and all i can do is hard reboot them.

all the dpm manager says is syncronizing and is stuck

after a hard reboot they act normal. They sync....they seem to be fine...nothing in the event logs. Prior to the servers having the agent installed on them they both ran fine for 2 years. I ran WU thinking that might solve it but nope. Same behavior today.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As a "test" try disabling your Anti-virus software on the servers, or configure it to disable realtime scanning of the dpmra.exe process. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:22 PM
  • I have a similar problem.

We have DPM 2010 backing up approx 20 different servers both physical and virtual.

We have had issues on 3 of the servers 1 Exchange 2003 and 2 SQL 2005 servers where the DPM agent hangs the box. You can ping it but can't logon or access resources/applications on the server. 

A reboot doesn't fix the problem as the server hangs again about 60 seconds after rebooting.

The only way to fix the issue is to disable VSS and DPMRA using MSConfig, uninstall the DPM agent and then reboot the box, after this the server is fine again.

Has anyone else had issues with DPM 2010 hanging servers.

We can't log a call on this, as these are production servers and we can't leave them in this state to log a call and get Microsoft to troubleshoot.

Thanks

D

Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:14 PM
  • mine havent been quite that drastic. I doesnt hang up the remote box but it doesnt do so that quick. Mine is anywhere from 10 minutes to the next day before it locks up. sometimes i can rdp into it and sometimes i cant. Typically i cant ever open the services mmc but other mmcs will open.

the only cure is another reboot

no idea what is going on.

mine are sql 2005 machines running on 2003 and a 2003 file server. Nothing fancy.

WE do not have any of these problems on 2008 r2 machines in other installs we have done.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:21 PM