none
Time Sheet being filled in automatically RRS feed

• Question

• When a planner assigns a resource a task it pops up in their time sheet (as it should happen). 
    • If the project planner edits the "% Completed" Column within the project plan, it'll auto populate the resources time sheet. Depending on the number filled into the the "% Completed" this will change how many hours are filled in on the user.
    • If there are multiple resources assigned to a task then it will distribute the number of hours between all resources. 
    • For example - 2 resources are assigned to a task that has 20. The project planner then puts 50% in the "% Completed", this will then automatically fill out the 2 resources time sheet with 5 hours each. Filling it up from the date the task starts.
    Is this a normal function of Microsoft Project 2013?

I've only managed to test this through PWA and not MSP, but I'd imagine as it's a formula that it'll be the same.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First of all, I'd mention that if you use timesheeting, the %complete should not be entered by the so-called planner in the project plan. The team members should fill actual work in their timesheets and upon planner's approval/publish, this actual work will be pushed in the project plan. Which will automatically update the %complete. The planner might then open the project and update the remaining work, which will again update the %complete. 

If you let the planner update the plan and still team members are doing timesheets, you will soon have lots of discrepencies between timesheets and schedule. Anyway, I'd suggest to schedule the projects using MS Project Pro which proposes more scheduling features.

For your question:

1-it is by design, timesheet are (or can be) propulated from schedule assignments.

2-This is also by design, updating the %complete update the resource assignment's work.

3-Yes. Note that you can in PWA choose an assignment view instead of a task view (you'll have 2 lines for example if you have 2 resources assigned on a task). Then you can update information at assignment level versus task level.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by ungachuck Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:56 PM

All replies

• I can only speak about MSP2010, but this will apply to all versions.

Have to ask, "what do you expect to happen when you fill in the % complete?" You don't mention the duration of the task, but I am guessing that it is 10 hours.

Since % complete is the fraction actual duration/duration (and duration = actual + remaining), then when you fill in 50%, MSP has no choice other than to "assume" that the task started at the date and time scheduled, and this becomes the actual start, and then calculate that actual duration = 5 hours, then assume that each resource clocked up the scheduled work for the 5 hours.

This is great if all of that is true but it usually isn't. It is much better to avoid inputting the % complete and adopt a different approach. Use the tracking table to input actual start and actual duration. Of course MSP will calculate actual work to be as scheduled for that actual duration. Then use the task usage view to edit the actual work for each resource during the actual duration.

Any help?

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, I'd mention that if you use timesheeting, the %complete should not be entered by the so-called planner in the project plan. The team members should fill actual work in their timesheets and upon planner's approval/publish, this actual work will be pushed in the project plan. Which will automatically update the %complete. The planner might then open the project and update the remaining work, which will again update the %complete. 

If you let the planner update the plan and still team members are doing timesheets, you will soon have lots of discrepencies between timesheets and schedule. Anyway, I'd suggest to schedule the projects using MS Project Pro which proposes more scheduling features.

For your question:

1-it is by design, timesheet are (or can be) propulated from schedule assignments.

2-This is also by design, updating the %complete update the resource assignment's work.

3-Yes. Note that you can in PWA choose an assignment view instead of a task view (you'll have 2 lines for example if you have 2 resources assigned on a task). Then you can update information at assignment level versus task level.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by ungachuck Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Thank you for you reply, it's helped clear up the confusion that some of our project managers were having!
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:02 PM
  • Is there anyway to prevent users from editing this particular column? Through MSP I'm thinking of a registry edit however this wouldn't be replicated when editing a project through PWA. 

Are there any security or global permissions within Project Server or SharePoint that allow this degree of control?

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you can edit the timesheet view from the server settings, "manage views", then you can add/remove columns if you don't want to show the information, or check the option "make column read only" if you want to show it but prevent users from updating it.

For example with the remaining work in the "my work" timesheet view.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 12:07 PM
  • Thank you for your very quick response, but yet another question.

I'm guessing from the screenshot that this will make all timesheet viewers unable to make changes to the column that is made read-only?

If this is the case can we make it read only when editing the project in PWA or MSP? When I've gone into the settings you mentioned above the 'Make Column read only' tick box is missing within the Project 'view type'.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 2:30 PM
  • Indeed this is only applicable for specific views such as timesheet views, but not project detail views.

You cannot make by configuration a column read only in MS Project, unless you do some VBA. Then for the PWA views, you can use the categories. Views can be associated to security categories, themsleves associated to security groups containing users. So if a view is not associated with a given category associated to a given group with some users, those users will not access the view.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

We are facing the same issue when the user fills % Work Complete in the Task and it gets approved the timesheet is populated with the hours automatically.

Regarding your comment that this is by Design, is there an option to disable this behavior. We are using separate Non Single Entry Mode where we need the users to record separately in Timesheet and Task without one interfering in the other.

Is this information documented somewhere? I was not able to find any documentation regarding this behavior yet.

Thanks 

• Edited by EAAB Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:19 AM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:07 AM