Vista Ultimate/ HP Pavillion Entertainment PC - still crashing RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a brand new HP Pavillion, dual AMD, 2G ram, yadda yadda. I have started having the "..unexpected shutdown" issue for about a week.

I've uppded the video buffer from 64 to 128 in the BIOS, I've downloaded and installed the hotfix supplied to remedy the issue but the problem persists.

When I run Vista Update Manager I get two items return: Broadcom 8011b/g Wireless adapter and VIsual Studio 2005.

There is no update on Broadcom's site for the adpater, and when I attempt to "update drivers" i'm told they are the most recent.

I have applied VS SP1, which is another "possible" solution provided by MS.

I also have

VS 05 Team Edition for Software Testers,

VS 6.0  Enterprise Edition (VB portion only),

VS 05 Premier Partner Edition

VS 05 Team Explorer

VS 08 Professional Edition

MS Virtual PC 2007

along with MS Office 03 Professional, .Net Compact Framework 1.0 SP3, Developer, 2.0 SP2, 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5. 2.0 Ajax Extensions, Silverlight, SQL 2005 (plus all associated apps), VS Library for VS 05, SKD fro 2008, and various other applications, all of which I have either verified throught the update manager or downloaded the Vista drivers for before I bought this machine.

I'm going to uninstall VS 6.0 and see if that resolves the issue but would really appreciate any other feedback on items that I may have not covered in this article.

Monday, January 21, 2008 2:54 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Please understand that to troubleshoot the crash issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, please also try the following steps to see if we can eliminate the problem:

1.    Update the BIOS and motherboard driver designed for Windows Vista.

Note: Please also confirm whether your computer is compatible with Windows Vista.

2.    Perform a clean boot to exclude the possible factors from 3rd party applications and services.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

3.    If uninstalling Visual Studio 6.0 resolved the problem, please also let me know, if possible.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:31 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Please understand that to troubleshoot the crash issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, please also try the following steps to see if we can eliminate the problem:

1.    Update the BIOS and motherboard driver designed for Windows Vista.

Note: Please also confirm whether your computer is compatible with Windows Vista.

2.    Perform a clean boot to exclude the possible factors from 3rd party applications and services.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

3.    If uninstalling Visual Studio 6.0 resolved the problem, please also let me know, if possible.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:31 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply Lionel! Sorry for the delay but I never received notification that a reply had been posted.

Anyway, I've completely uninstalled all of VS 6.0, but also performed the clean boot (which goes against the first software engineer creed I know).

I'm going to leave it this way overnight and see if a shutdown has occurred when I log in tomorrow afternoon. If no, I'll revert to the standard boot and give it another go.

BTW - how do you update the BIOS and motherboard drivers. I've been doing software for over a decade but have never needed to, or wanted to, perform this action. Also, the laptop came with Vista installed, I simply upgraded from Home Premier to Ultimate.

Also, I ran accross a post which pointed to the nVidea drivers and the solution posted was to change the "sleep" timer back just a couple of minutes after the "turn of hard drive" setting. Plus some other settings like "always ..multimedia" and a USB port setting. The post was from an HP employee.

It didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks again, and I appreciate any guidance you are able to supply.

kb

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 5:35 AM
  •  

I checked my laptop this morning. No "Unexpected Shutdown". Then I left it while at work, and nine hours later I checked it again. Still No "Unexpected Shutdown".

So I changed the startup options back to a normal boot configuration and will check it in the morning.

kb

Thursday, February 7, 2008 5:33 AM
  • Hello Keith,

Thanks for your feedback!

I’m happy to hear that the unexpected shutdown hasn’t occur again after clean boot and removing Visual Studio 6.0. If the problem goes back in normal mode, please refer to the KB article 929135 to find out the service or application that act as the root cause. Let us know the result if possible, thank you!

Please we generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future. For the new issues you mentioned in the reply, please post each of them in new thread.

For your reference, I’d love to add the following information:

1.    BIOS updating is an important step to troubleshoot power management, reliability and other unexpected problems. However, BIOS is at the lower level than operating system and built in to the motherboard, to safely upgrade to new version of BIOS, you may need to follow motherboard manufacturer’s instruction, which may be contained in their website or manual shipped with motherboard. Many motherboard producers now have provided a convenient way to update the BIOS, which requires only double-clicking the update file.

2.    As drivers are developed and released by manufacturers only, about the reliability or confliction issues brought with the drivers, it’s recommended to contact the manufacturers themselves. For the post about Nvidia driver you mentioned, if you have questions from Windows side, please post it in your new thread and include the link to the original post, I’ll try my best to see what I can do for you.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience. Nice day!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, February 8, 2008 2:53 AM
  •  

Thanks for your help (again) Lionel.

Well the crash has returned.

I have gone to the HP site and found a few driver updates for my machine but the BIOS was/is up-to-date.

I'll look at the KB article mentioned above and see what I can do.

kb

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:57 AM
  • Hello Keith,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the reply delay due to the weekend!

Based on such a situation, I think some 3rd party service or application is very possibly the root cause of this issue. Please troubleshoot it with the help from KB929135.

Still, let us know the result if possible. Thank you again for the update!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, February 11, 2008 1:28 AM
  • I think I may have possibly solved the issue - not positive, but giving it a shot.

Possible cause: I have to use SonicWall VPN client for a project I work at night. I DO have the latest (VIsta) drivers for it.

I have installed Cisco VPN client for occasionaly access to my day job network (I usually RDP instead).

SonicWall states that "there may be issues with other VPN adapters, uninstall others..."

I hadn't had a shutdown since I turned both from "Automatice" to "Manual", but when I launched the SonicWall virtual adapter, and subsequent connection, this afternoon, all of the sudden my laptop shut down and rebooted.

So, I've uninstalled Cisco VPN client and am hoping for the best.

I'll post the results in a few days.

kb

Friday, February 22, 2008 9:09 PM
  • I have the same exact problem with the same exact pc. Another big problem that i have is when i try to start the laptop, it won't start for nothing. And when it does start it logs me in and just shuts down not giving me anytime to make any changes to any of the programs and such. When it shuts down, i wait awhile and start it up. It starts up and the screen stays black.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:32 PM