none
Win 10 1607 Update Fails to Install (Another One)

Question

• I am another person with this problem - I am trying to pin down the root cause for repeated failures to install the update from 1511 (10586.73) to 1607 (continues to fail at 10% and reverts). I have been at this for months, and have reviewed other posts here and elsewhere and I am not finding a reason that applies to this failure. I have also tried all the systems and disk tests described with no problems found, and the errors found in the log files are so general they don't seem to help. What is now particularly annoying is that the update currently tries to install every time I reboot the computer, and then reverts with the message the update was installed. I would appreciate someone having a look at the log files and offering assistance (files are at https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArfkeEc7XV-Tw3UGEzkCNjBhJfQy).

Edcarcal

Thursday, February 23, 2017 1:31 PM

Answers

• Nice of everyone to focus on the updates, but you all missed one significant point. It took me a long time, but I finally solved my problem without help from anyone at Microsoft support, TechNet or the Microsoft community.

The problem goes back to the original Microsoft offer to upgrade Windows from 7/8/8.1 to 10 - the HDDs on this older AMD 64 bit desktop computer were not migrated properly, and subsequent attempts to upgrade 10 from 1511 to any others were blocked because the system disk "Device did not migrate" (and I tried everything I could think of to make it migrate). This goes back to the disk.inf file that absolutely refused to change or update, and all my attempts to fix that were ineffective.

The solution I found is annoying, but worked flawlessly - I had a blank HDD that I had never used that is identical to the system disk, and I installed it and a complete new version of Win 10 Pro (64Bit) with no problems. I am now left with reinstalling all the programs that used to be on that computer. This was a total pain in the neck, and you would think someone would think to tell me to check the HDD property events to figure this out. I have no doubt someone in Microsoft is aware of this issue and is probably ignoring it because there are so few of us that this has affected. Once again, thanks Microsoft! "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Edcarcal

• Marked as answer by Edcarcal Friday, February 23, 2018 10:07 PM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 10:07 PM

All replies

• Have you tried Clean Install ?

Download the iso file from this link .

*** Clean Install will not allow you to keep anything. So backup files you want to keep first before doing clean install.

Make sure you select the same Windows 10 Edition, Language and Bit-version your computer is now running.

Burn the downloaded iso file to a bootable media (DVD or USB).
    Set your computer Boot Sequence to the media you will be using > Insert the bootable media > Restart computer.
    Installation will begin.
    You will be asked for a product key. Just click the SKIP option or the "I do not have a product key" option and continue.

Once installation is completed and activated, Windows Update will soon offer you the most current build of Windows 10 version 1607.

• Edited by david hk129 Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:19 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:10 PM
  • I am trying to avoid a clean install if possible - many apps on this computer. However, a 32b version of Win 10 is installed on this 64b machine - could that be the problem with this update?

Edcarcal

Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:22 PM
  • I am trying to avoid a clean install if possible - many apps on this computer. However, a 32b version of Win 10 is installed on this 64b machine - could that be the problem with this update?

Edcarcal

No, that is not the problem.

I am now using a 64-bit processor computer running Windows 10 Pro 32-bit, and I have been getting updates on time.

P.S. adding.............. if you fail to get update to version 1607 after trying all possible solutions, the only option left to you is a Clean Install.
     If you want it, bite the bullet.
    • Edited by david hk129 Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:36 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Try stop windows update service, delete all in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, start update service and install.
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:40 PM
  • Has anybody looked at the logs? Surely there is some way to track the problem from the errors shown?

Edcarcal

Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:28 PM
  • OK, it's been three weeks with no response from this "team". And now, the latest 1511 update (KB4013198 (OS Build 10586.839) is behaving the same way as the 1607 update. There is clearly something these updates are encountering that they really don't like. By way of background, last year I attempted an upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 which went very badly. I opted for a new clean install of Win 7 Home with a reformatted disk, and then upgraded that to Win 10 (later including the 1511 update) with no problem. I then added the apps I need, also with no problems. After the system has failed to update to 1607 many times (and now the same with the latest 1511 update), I am at a loss. What is it about these updates that is so different from the earlier 1511 version that has been running well on this computer for months?

I have a big problem with trying another clean install - the chances are excellent it will fail unless I can figure out what's going on, and if successful, it will require me to re-add all those apps, not to mention the fact there is no product ID for the free Win 10 update. I have tried the answer forum and Microsoft support (online and elevated) several times, and scoured the internet for possible solutions with no success - just what is it going to take to find someone knowledgeable enough about the process and logs to suggest a reasonable way to track down the problem and fix it?

I am very disappointed with Microsoft's efforts to provide support for unusual problems like this. The real issue is that, as in the past, I cannot seem to make contact with anyone with the necessary expertise to evaluate the root cause of a strange error in Windows, and I am sick and tired of advice to try a clean install.

Edcarcal

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:48 AM
  • I've a similar (or the same) problem for months. Many many hours wasted troubleshooting and trying different update options. Trying hard to avoid clean reinstall.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 4:02 AM
  • Hi Edcarcal,

I just had a lot of difficulty upgrading from 1607 to 1703 and went through panther commands and logs.  The error codes can be very broad and have little meaning until the logs are analyzed.  For the log analysis it is substantially easier to start with an error code.

During your multiple upgrade attempts what were the error codes?

This was one of the failures in your log:  2017-02-20 14:31:35, Warning               MOUPG  SetupManager: Copying dynamic update files failed: [0x80070020]

The suggested mitigation for that failure is to perform the upgrade in clean boot: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx

0x80070020

The existing process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Use the MSCONFIG tool to perform a clean boot on the machine and then try to perform the update again. For more information, see How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

There were other entries noted in your log but they have substantially more meaning once you have an error code as then you can process the logs with that in mind.

I had to fix the partition sizing on my 750 GB internal hard drive.  It had two clean installs within the prior 30 days.  So it was a puzzle as to why there was not enough free space in the partitions after the clean installs.

There were additional problems after upgrading from 1607 to 1703 so I ended up doing a clean install.

Let's see what happens with an upgrade from clean boot.

Friday, April 21, 2017 8:24 AM
  • the latest 1511 update (KB4013198 (OS Build 10586.839) is behaving the same way as the 1607 update.

How about getting some diagnostics for that then.  As you say the setup stuff from the upgrade track is useless.  On Answers we have been having some luck with starting from the System Information WER report (e.g. as requested by Gerry Cornell).  Actually I would usually start with ReportingEvents.log to get a timestamp context and a specific error code to be focusing on.  After that WindowsUpdate.log could fill in some details. The point is don't try to dive in too deeply too soon.

C.f.  MDeero's success story

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/13ada0a1-b02b-40c1-aaf0-61b93c81f36c/cummulative-updates-fail-under-windows-10-build-1067?forum=win10itprosetup 

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 21, 2017 11:14 PM
  • I have had the same issues and stuck on version 1511 (Build 10586.1106)

I have worked on 3 separate tickets with Microsoft, 22 clean install and get to the same build and but not one build farther. I have to keep windows update service turned off or it will loop trying to install 1607 failing. Some times if fails to detect a boot option and rolls back, Some times it fails to detect any restore points even though I learned to manually create them. Its been a disaster working with mircorsoft and even they give up. I was told to wait for a fix that it was a know issue effecting 50 to 70% of computers back in 2016 but apparently it still hasn't been fixed but ignored. Good luck and turning off the windows update service and disabling it is all I know to offer.

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:34 PM
  • TXBuzzsaw,

What method have you used to turn off windows updates?

Consider starting a new thread and posting logs.

The technet team was instrumental in troubleshooting one of the computers I used in March/April 2017 that had failed to upgrade from 1607 to 1703.  They had found that the free space within the partition was insufficient for the upgrade.  That was critical information to go further with the troubleshooting.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:31 AM
  • Nice of everyone to focus on the updates, but you all missed one significant point. It took me a long time, but I finally solved my problem without help from anyone at Microsoft support, TechNet or the Microsoft community.

The problem goes back to the original Microsoft offer to upgrade Windows from 7/8/8.1 to 10 - the HDDs on this older AMD 64 bit desktop computer were not migrated properly, and subsequent attempts to upgrade 10 from 1511 to any others were blocked because the system disk "Device did not migrate" (and I tried everything I could think of to make it migrate). This goes back to the disk.inf file that absolutely refused to change or update, and all my attempts to fix that were ineffective.

The solution I found is annoying, but worked flawlessly - I had a blank HDD that I had never used that is identical to the system disk, and I installed it and a complete new version of Win 10 Pro (64Bit) with no problems. I am now left with reinstalling all the programs that used to be on that computer. This was a total pain in the neck, and you would think someone would think to tell me to check the HDD property events to figure this out. I have no doubt someone in Microsoft is aware of this issue and is probably ignoring it because there are so few of us that this has affected. Once again, thanks Microsoft! "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Edcarcal

• Marked as answer by Edcarcal Friday, February 23, 2018 10:07 PM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 10:07 PM