windows 7 no longer recognizes my wd external hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• windows 7 no longer recognizes my wd external hard drive.  it shows that the device is installed and driver running is the current driver but it does not show a drive letter to access my files.  i've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and that doesn't work.  i have 4 computers all running windows 7 and it won't work on any of them.  i had no problems several months ago - i was running windows 7 at that time also.  any suggestions?  i'm getting really frustrated!
    Monday, April 18, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• Have you installed any antivirus ? Check the antivirus settings for block USB drive or external hard drive... If it is blocked you just enable it.

Or in services check the "Removable storage" is enabled or not.

Aloysius Jegan
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 25, 2011 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:07 AM

All replies

• Is this a raid setup? Btw are you able to view it under disk management?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Have you installed any antivirus ? Check the antivirus settings for block USB drive or external hard drive... If it is blocked you just enable it.

Or in services check the "Removable storage" is enabled or not.

Aloysius Jegan
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, April 25, 2011 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:07 AM
  • I have that same issue... WD external HD, tried to see it on 2 computers... It DOES show up in Disk Management but has no letter assigned... When I right-click on it and try to assign a letter a popup appears and says: "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. ..."

I uninstalled the driver and re-installed it, same problem...

Don't want to lose the DATA...

Cheers.

Monday, October 15, 2012 12:39 AM